Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sky UK / DHCP Option 61 (Client ID) Workaround

rdun72
Aspirant

Sky UK / DHCP Option 61 (Client ID) Workaround

Recently moved ISP in UK from BT to Sky. Wasn't pleased to discover that Sky authenticate differently than any other UK ISP and that Orbi (or most other equipment) doesn't support the required protocol. This pretty much forces you to use their Sky Q Hub router for the internet connection (ER115, FTTC in my case). Saw a few posts on this so thought I'd share my setup as I've got things running well by simply placing the Orbi (router mode) in the Sky Hub's DMZ i.e. no NAT issues with LAN clients so far. Brief setup as follows (I have 1 RBR40, 2 RBS40, 1 RBS20 all wired):

1. Assign static IP to Orbi WAN interface in Sky hub

2. Set that IP as DMZ on Sky Hub and disable wireless

3. Connect Sky Hub to Orbi WAN port

3. Orbi in router mode and configure internet settings to not require a login / dynamically receive IP / automatically receive DNS servers 

4. Set Orbi LAN with a different subnet IP. In my case the Sky Hub uses 192.168.0.X so I use 192.168.1.X on the Orbi LAN.

5. Configure any port forwards etc. etc.

One interesting point. When I set the Orbi's internet settings to not require a login I found settings at the bottom of the page for DHCP Option 60 and 61. Saw this in another post relating to RBK53 (I think). It may be that this will allow for replacement of the Sky Hub with a modem, however the issue of determining the connection string (username / password) to authenticate with Sky remains. I'v eheard they don't give this out to customers. Draytek have some guidance on determining this on their support pages. If I run into issues with the above, I might swap my DSL modem back in and try to figure it out.

Message 1 of 3
rdun72
Aspirant

Re: Sky UK / DHCP Option 61 (Client ID) Workaround

Sorry - dropped this in wrong forum. Would a mod please move to Orbi? Thanks

Message 2 of 3
psychopomp123
Luminary

Re: Sky UK / DHCP Option 61 (Client ID) Workaround

Actually many third party routers do support Sky ADSL/VDSL lines these days, as they have DHCP 60/61 hard coded into the settings as long as you select 'SKY MER' as the ISP. Any latest combined modem/router from TP Link, Netgear, Billion or Asus will support Sky lines. If using something like Orbi then you simply put the third party modem/router into 'bridge' mode. No need to faff around with DMZ mode.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7