Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Initial Speed then Normal Speeds

plam93
Aspirant

Slow Initial Speed then Normal Speeds

Hey All,

Info:

- Orbi RBK50 with 1 Sat.

- Orbi router connected directly to ONT

- Verizon Fios 300mbps 

I am having issues with consistant speeds on my Orbi. When using a device (any device) initally I will get what seems to be a speed drop or a super quick drop in connection? For example, when I go on youtube for the first time that day on my laptop and click on a video it take a good 30 seconds to load a video sometimes longer and sometimes I have to refresh the page in order for it to load correctly. This also happens on my hardwired PC. Another example is when I run a speedtest through speedtest .net the first time I run it I get roughly 100mbps download and then I refresh the page and do it again I am back at my normal speeds at ~300mbps and everytime after that I get ~300mbps. I havent tried to manually pick a channel (1, 6, 11) but I dont think that is it since it does the same when hardwired. I am getting ready to quit and return the device. Its been happening for a few weeks now. Sorry if this is all over the place but I am getting frustrated because this device cost a lot of money and I am running into issues like this.  

Can anyone help me out here? What issue is causing my speeds start initally at 100mbps then jump up to 300mbps?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow Initial Speed then Normal Speeds

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP FIOS modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

Message 2 of 4
plam93
Aspirant

Router Firmware: V 2.3.5.30

2000sq ft and I made sure they are within 30ft of eachother. 

I have 2 neighbors next to me.

I have just tried those settings and it looks okay for now I hope it stays like this! 

Thank you so much for your help! 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, make sure you don't get too much closer between the RBR and RBSs. Any closer will start to cause problems. 

Please mark your thread and solves so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

@plam93 wrote:

Router Firmware: V 2.3.5.30

2000sq ft and I made sure they are within 30ft of eachother. 

I have 2 neighbors next to me.

I have just tried those settings and it looks okay for now I hope it stays like this! 

Thank you so much for your help! 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7