Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Internet Speeds

MorganTookers
Aspirant

Slow Internet Speeds

Hi, I just purchased the Orbi yesterday and am seeing even worse internet performance than I did without it. I'm supposed to be getting 10mb/s down, but speed test shows anywhere from 3-9 (usually always closer to 5). Any ideas how I could get it working better? I can't even load webpages very well, I've had to go on my phones date to be able to do most of my internet use.
Message 1 of 10
MorganTookers
Aspirant

Re: Slow Internet Speeds

Phones data*
Message 2 of 10
Streak2
Master

How close is the Orbi to the router it's plugged into?

Try and turn off wifi on your existing router in case the two are interfering with each other.

Message 3 of 10
MorganTookers
Aspirant

They are side by side. I turned off the wifi on my existing router last night and had no imporvement.
Message 4 of 10
Streak2
Master

Now try and change the wifi channel on the Orbi from auto to something else. Try a few and see if there is one that does the trick. The most usual 2.4ghz channels are 1,6 and 11.

I am sure you have tried a power cycle of the Orbi?

Message 5 of 10
MorganTookers
Aspirant

Yes, I did try a power cycle. I also tried going through channels 1-6, and 11 and didn't notice any improvements. I did notice 3 was even slower.
Message 6 of 10
Streak2
Master

If you stand near the satellite to force wifi connection to it instead of the base are the speeds the same?

One last things to try is to restart your internet router.

Failing all this you could try and contact support.

Message 7 of 10
MorganTookers
Aspirant

Yeah speeds are exactly the same next to the satellite. I tried resetting my router and the orbi, but sadly still the same.
Message 8 of 10
Streak2
Master

Have you tried connecting using a different device eg. phone, tablet, computer?

I get more than what I am paying for all over the house and on all devices. 

I wonder if it's something environmental there?

To be sure, switch off the Orbi's and go back to your main ISP router's wifi and also if possible plug a wired device into one of the orbi's Ethernet ports and test a wired connection. 

Message 9 of 10
MorganTookers
Aspirant

I'll try going back to my old router shortly. I've been testing the orbi on my iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook, and iMac. I tried plugging in my MacBook to the Ethernet port on the orbi and the speeds were the same as the wifi.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7