Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow LAN speeds on Orbi RBK50

Danmc2504
Tutor

Slow LAN speeds on Orbi RBK50

I have the Orbi RBK50 connected to a Spectrum modem. I am on a 200 Mbps plan. On my phone and tablet via wifi, I get 200+ Mbps. However, I get 65 Mbps on my lan connected Windows 10 PC with 1 gig adapter. Cables are cat5e. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Danmc2504
Tutor

I was able to solve my PC issue by running a freeware utility named TCPOptimizer. I let it pick the optimum settings. Sorry, I don't know the exact settings that it changed but my PC is now downloading at the same speeds as the wifi. My PC went from 65Mpbs to 230Mbps. Thanks again for the assistance.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Have you tried more than 1 device for the speedtesting?  I'd recommend trying a different lan device with gigabit. 

What device are you using? model number?

You put gigabit adapter. Do you mean its a usb-gigabit adapter or what exactly are you using? 

Have you tried different ports on the router in case one is bad?

Message 2 of 9
Danmc2504
Tutor

The Win 10 PC is my only LAN connected device. I verified that the built-in LAN connector on this device is rated at 1 gig. I have tried connecting from multiple ports on the satellite and multiple ports on the main Orbi RBR50. Thanks 

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

Right. Here's the issue.

If wifi on both router and satellite is pulling the full 200mbps it means that the wan-wifi interface is full speed. it also means that the backhaul is passing full speeds. I can see either the router or the satellite having bad ethernet connections but not both. This is why I'd recommend testing with another device. Also try a different cable. 

What firmware are you on? 

has it ever hit gigabit or 200mbps speed over lan connection?

Have you checked in your windows device manager to see if something has been changed on the ethernet connector settings?

what lan device are you using?  how are you sure it can max out your gigabit speeds? have you tested it to hit gigabit speeds?

I have an older atom pc device that has a gigabit connection but can't get anywhere near full gigabit speeds. Just because its rated gigabit, doesn't mean the computer can hit that speed. 

Message 4 of 9
Danmc2504
Tutor

Yes, agree, wifi is as good as the Spectrum service provides. I have tried multiple cat5e cables. Orbi RBR50 firmware is V2.5.0.38. Not sure what to look for in network settings other than to see it is connected and the adapter is rated at 1 gig. Not sure about your question on LAN device-I can only say that I am using the LAN port on the MB. The PC is a 2 year old custom built gaming machine with upper end parts. So, I'm gonna be surprised if it is a performance issue with the machine. That being said, I am not looking for gigabit speeds. I would just like to see the PC take advantage of the speed provided by Spectrum (200 Mbps).  I will see if I can find another device to test the LAN connect. Thanks

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

a little googling on windows 10 lan adapter settings can help figure out the optimal settings for your device. I'm not sure exactly what your motherboard is. I'd recommend playing a little. Here's what I found with just a generic search.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118518-Optimizing-Ethernet-Adapter-Settings-for-...

What spectrum modem are you using? 

Is it a combo device?

have you tried a different speedtesting site?

Message 6 of 9
Danmc2504
Tutor

Dug my old PC out of the attic and hooked it up. The speed test with the LAN showed over 200 Mbps. So, it looks like there is something in my newer PC that is causing the slower speeds. Tried a few things like latest driver and so far, no luck but will keep looking.

Given this result, this issue should be closed. Thanks again for your help.

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

I'd say glad to hear you narrowed down the problem but it just made another problem for you. But at least you know where the issue is. 

Message 8 of 9
Danmc2504
Tutor

I was able to solve my PC issue by running a freeware utility named TCPOptimizer. I let it pick the optimum settings. Sorry, I don't know the exact settings that it changed but my PC is now downloading at the same speeds as the wifi. My PC went from 65Mpbs to 230Mbps. Thanks again for the assistance.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7