Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Netflix Speeds on TiVo Wired to Orbi Satellite

erikrubin
Aspirant

Slow Netflix Speeds on TiVo Wired to Orbi Satellite

I have an Orbi system set up with the router in my basement, Satellite 1 on the first floor and Satellite 2 on the second floor. Wireless speed is pegged at 120 Mbps down for devices where I can measure speed (iPads, iPhones, HP desktop, lenovo laptop) when connected to satellites or router. Wired to Satellite 2, with wireless adapter turned off on the desktop and laptop each show 1Gbps connection and internet download speeds pegged at 120 Mbps. Here's my issue. I have a TiVo Bolt+ wired to Satellite 1 and a TiVo mini wired to Satellite 2 (both with cat6 cables). Through the Netflix app on the Bolt+, I consistently see 33 Mbps download speed wired AND wireless when I disconnect the cable. Through the Netflix app on the Mini, I see 6 Mbps download speed wired. Has anyone else seen speed download limitations with TiVos connected to Orbis in this way? Any solutions?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: Slow Netflix Speeds on TiVo Wired to Orbi Satellite

It's quite possible that 6 Mbps is all the throughput the processor on the TiVO is capable of managing.  This is adequate for a single HD video stream, which is all the device is designed to handle.  Manufacturers don't usually overdesign devices like this, because it adds unnecessary cost.

In any case, if you consistently get 6 Mbps and there are no problems watching TV, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you want, you can check to make sure it's not your network by unpluging the Ethernet cord from the Mini, plugging it into a laptop or desktop, and running a speed test.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7