Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow WIFI speeds on my rbr50 with ATT fiber

TFlav
Apprentice

Slow WIFI speeds on my rbr50 with ATT fiber

I resently got the BGW210 router from ATT as I read that it works best with my orbi rbr50. after getting everything set up, everyting was working great for a few days. Wired connection speed are coming in at 900+, while my wifi speed when sitting next to the router are around 300+. When i move just 15 feet away tho the speed drops down to 20 and lower. This has been an issue for about a week now and I'm not sure what could be causeing this. i know the more devices connected to my wifi will weaken it and I'm working on connecting as many as I can to a wire connection. This wasn"t as big of an issue with my old ATT router(5268AC).

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Message 2 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

I've already configured my routers. I have both wifi's disabled and put the router in IP Passthrough on my ATT Router. I have my orbi router in AP mode. My satellite is no more then 30 feet from my orbi router. My orbi firmware is up to date. 

I followed these steps from this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZz6E8Xk_Hs

If this is wrong can you guide me to a step by step guide on how to configure my setup?

Message 3 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

Square footage is approx. 3600 sq. ft.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What WiFi devices are you using to speed test with? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 5 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 I use ookla speedtest app. 

I have no idea what channels I'm using or how to check them. I'm a noob when it comes this stuff. So if you could give me step by step instructions that will really help. I have no idea what beamforming, MIMO or WMM are. I really have no idea what you're asking me to check in the rest of the message you sent either. please be as specific as possible. 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices are you using to speed test with? 

Use a wired PC connected to the RBR and a web browser to log into the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com. 

Check under Advanced Tab and you'll see what wireless channels the system is using. 

Follow the path under Advanced Tab/Wireless settings to check for the items mentioned. 

If you don't think you can check for these items, you may want to get someone to help you out on this, friend, nieghbor or family member. 

Message 7 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

when I looked under my 2.4ghz and 5 ghz it say current channels: N/A. There's a button that says scan for best channels.

Message 8 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

I was doing the speed test on my Iphone 8 Plus.

Message 9 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Most speed tests on iphones and pad will top out at around 400-500Mbps depending on device support on 5Ghz. 

I recommend you find someone locally to help you with this. Friend or family member that can look this over and go over it with you. 

Message 10 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

That was from my ATT router. Should I be looking on my orbi router?

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Also the wifi on the ISP modem needs to be disabled as well. All this was mentioned in earlier posts regarding having two routers online. 

Message 12 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok. Yes I have the wifi's on my ISP router disabled

Message 13 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok I'll try and find someone I trust to help me with this.

Message 14 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

@vajim  I trust @FURRYe38 , He suggested that I find someone to help me figure this stuff out locally. 

Message 15 of 17
TFlav
Apprentice

Ok so now I can't even connect to my wifi. my satellite won't connect to the router. I noticed that the Satellite was showing a mangenta color when i was on my orbi app. I was trying to re-sync the satellite to my router when i notice that someone turned the satellite off. when I turned the satellite back on my wifi went out and I can no longer connect to my wifi and the satellite won't connect to the router anymore. i haven't tried doing any configurations to the router or satellite since I last reached out, as I waiting to hear back from a couple of friends that might be able to help. I'm just not sure why my wifi wouldnt be working. my desktops work just fine and they are connected to my orbi router. Also the wifi was working this morning(poorly but working), only when I turned my satellite back on did the wifi go out. 

When I check on orbilogin.com it says that the Satellite is connected and that the backhaul is good. Both my router and satellite has the most recent FW. 

Do I need to factory reset everything again? 

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have done a reset already then no you don't need to reset again. 

Bring the RBS near the RBR, same room if you can. Try to sync the RBS using the back sync button on the RBR then on the RBS. Does the RBS sync correctly at all while in the same room as the RBR?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7