Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WiFi 2.4 GHz on Orbi

QC91
Aspirant

Slow WiFi 2.4 GHz on Orbi

We have an RBR50 with 2 Satellites we Just Started to have slow Speed on the 2.4 GHz WiFi  only, we have had the RBR50 for just over 1 Year and have never had any Speed  issues, we have not moved any of the Satellites we have Firmware Version V2.5.0.38 any help would be appreciated 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Slow WiFi 2.4 GHz on Orbi

@QC91 wrote:

We have an RBR50 with 2 Satellites we Just Started to have slow Speed on the 2.4 GHz WiFi  only, we have had the RBR50 for just over 1 Year and have never had any Speed  issues, we have not moved any of the Satellites we have Firmware Version V2.5.0.38 any help would be appreciated 

Your problem is probably with V2.5.0.38

Lots of folks have reported problems.  You may want to revert back to a previous firmware and STOP doing manual updates, if that's what you did.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

There is new FW available as well, v2.5.1.8:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-v2-5-1/m-p/1837523/highlight/true#M78418

New FW is working for me and others. 

Message 3 of 8
QC91
Aspirant

Hi, Thanks for all the replies 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  Arris SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  1700,  We have had the system up for just over a year and  have not moved anything  we can be sitting in front of the  router a few feet but it does not help with the 2.4 GHz

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Auto

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, are  disabled 

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Just checking the modem. Good here.

So if you turn OFF the RBSs and leave just the RBR online. Speeds are slow on 2.4Ghz? 

What device are using to test 2.4Ghz? 

Try setting manual channel on 2.4Hz to 1, 6 or 11. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what speeds are you expecting to see on 2.4Ghz? 

Speed still good on 5Ghz? 

What speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN from you ISP? 

@QC91 wrote:

Hi, Thanks for all the replies 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?  Arris SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?  1700,  We have had the system up for just over a year and  have not moved anything  we can be sitting in front of the  router a few feet but it does not help with the 2.4 GHz

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Auto

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s)Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, are  disabled 

Message 6 of 8
QC91
Aspirant

I disconnect both satellites and seated 3 feet away from the RBR50 and tested the 2.5 GHz with both my phone and laptop my ISP speed its only 50 Mbps  

Also what speeds are you expecting to see on 2.4Ghz?   200 Mbps  or more  

Is speed still good on 5Ghz?  YES 

What speeds do you pay for UP and DOWN from you ISP 260 Mbps  Down and 12 Mbps UP  

I also did  wifi analyzer software and I only thing I see is hidden network from the satellites what must be the backhaul will attach photos 

Message 7 of 8
QC91
Aspirant

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7