Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow WiFi RBK53 and cannot disable mesh

ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Slow WiFi RBK53 and cannot disable mesh

I added last week a third satellite to my orbi since was not covering well my top floor. Since I added this I have issue with slow WiFi in certain area of the house where i never had problem before. I saw other post mentioning to disable the daisy chain and I tried and even if more stable the speed in general is not back where is was before. And btw I cannot disable mesh becouse I need to cover that basement that use an intermediate satellite. I’m also supposed that the main router that is in the middle on my house was not able to cover the above floor that is just there with a short stairs and big open ceiling with direct sight on the above floor that is a small floor. That’s why I added the other satellite. Any suggestions ?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Re: Slow WiFi RBK53 and cannot disable mesh

After a lot of investigation, I noticed that when connecting to the new router I was getting GB as Country Code for the Wifi, while my Router was alwasy set to US. Double cheking the router in fact was still set to US. When I installed the new satellite I did it via the Mobile App, and all was finished with no error, in fact I was able to connect to the same wifi, excecpt that this problem of unstable speed popped up. So when I noticed that that satellite was using GB, I decided to execute a manual sync with the router (like I did when I install initally my ORBI). Both flashed ring white for a while until sync was concluded and the satellite returned to blue (as it came blue on the firse set up via the mobile app). But at this point all my net including the new satellite was set to US (no more GB). Since I did that sync (and is more than one week) i'm not having anymore the problem (!). I don't think was the country code but for sure doing the manual sync I think did the fix. Corssing finger, all is good so far. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Is this a situation that can be reproduced?  i.e.,

• Power off the newest satellite and service returns to the way it was,
    service can be measured with something like one of the "Speedtest" web apps
  • Power the satellite on and service drops.
    Speedtest shows a lower value.
  • and this can be repeated ?

Are devices all over the building affected the same?

Message 2 of 7
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

Yes. The situation can be reproduced. If I shut down the new satellite the situation go back to normal. I measure the performance with both speedtest and fast.com. I also have a computer with cable connected to the moden (the Orbi is after the modem configured only for wireless) and the speed on the modem is fine. Also on some satellite is fine (the ones with the daisy chain). The most affected seems to be the main RBK53
Message 3 of 7
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

I mean the main RBR 53
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 5 of 7
ermannobonifazi
Aspirant

After a lot of investigation, I noticed that when connecting to the new router I was getting GB as Country Code for the Wifi, while my Router was alwasy set to US. Double cheking the router in fact was still set to US. When I installed the new satellite I did it via the Mobile App, and all was finished with no error, in fact I was able to connect to the same wifi, excecpt that this problem of unstable speed popped up. So when I noticed that that satellite was using GB, I decided to execute a manual sync with the router (like I did when I install initally my ORBI). Both flashed ring white for a while until sync was concluded and the satellite returned to blue (as it came blue on the firse set up via the mobile app). But at this point all my net including the new satellite was set to US (no more GB). Since I did that sync (and is more than one week) i'm not having anymore the problem (!). I don't think was the country code but for sure doing the manual sync I think did the fix. Corssing finger, all is good so far. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Sounds a the manual sync was all that was needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7