Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow WiFi on orbi with gigabit Fios

Dgfamilypa
Aspirant

Slow WiFi on orbi with gigabit Fios

NETGEAR - Orbi AC2200 Tri-Band Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-pack)

Model:RBK43-200NAS

Hi, I just upgraded my Fios internet to gigabit service. WiFi was amazing but not throughout the house. Fios WiFi Download 374 upload 405

I added an Orbi system

1 hardwired router (to Fios modem, Fios WiFi disabled) in home addition

1 satellite hardwired from orbi router to main house 1st floor

1 satellite wireless to 3rd floor

All have green status lights (good)

On 5.0 GHz No matter which area of my home (even close to router) my max speeds are 94 down 98 up.

Coverage is amazing, I’m always connected full strength. The speed is not what I expected. What can I do to beef up the speed?
Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

What devices are you using to speed test? 

Are wired speed tests with a PC connected to the router good? 

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 4
Dgfamilypa
Aspirant

My responses are below after ***
I also attached a pic of my wireless settings
None of the suggestions worked.

What FW is currently loaded? ***2.2.1.210

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? ***Fios-G1100

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ***Main router in 500sf addition, satellites in 1600 sf (total 2100) this system is rated for 6000sf

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.
***Within 30 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
***2.4 has 01-11 available (I am now set to 01) 5ghz has 36-48 available I am now set to 36

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? ***2

What WPA security modes are you using? ***WPA2-PSK [AES]

What devices are you using to speed test? ***iPhone 10, Apple TV

Are wired speed tests with a PC connected to the router good? ***No same as wireless

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. ***Didn’t help
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@Dgfamilypa wrote:
My responses are below after ***
I also attached a pic of my wireless settings
None of the suggestions worked.

What FW is currently loaded? ***2.2.1.210

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? ***Fios-G1100 This is a modem/router combo unit:
Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? ***Main router in 500sf addition, satellites in 1600 sf (total 2100) this system is rated for 6000sf

***Within 30 ft
Try moving the satellites farther away from the router. 30 feet to start so there isn't too much wifi over lap. 

***2.4 has 01-11 available (I am now set to 01) 5ghz has 36-48 available I am now set to 36

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? ***2

What WPA security modes are you using? ***WPA2-PSK [AES]

What devices are you using to speed test? ***iPhone 10, Apple TV

Are wired speed tests with a PC connected to the router good? ***No same as wireless

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. ***Didn’t help

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7