Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Wifi on Netgear Orbi Satellite with ethernet backhaul

Mvdput
Aspirant

Slow Wifi on Netgear Orbi Satellite with ethernet backhaul

I have a Netgear Orbi system with a RBR50 router and 1 RBS50 Satellite. The Satelite is connected through an ethernet cable with the router, so a good and stable backhaul connection. 
My internet speed is 300Mb down.

When I am connected with my macbook or iphone through wifi with (5G) the RBR50 I get speeds of about 280Mb.
When I am connected with the same devices through wifi (5G) with my RBS50 Satellite, I get speeds of about 45Mb. I am on the same floor as the Satellite and only a few meters away. 

When I restart the Orbi router and satellite, I initial get high speeds like 280+ Mb but after a while for some unknown reason the speeds lowers dramatically to around 45Mb and stay that low.
I also have a mac mini connected through an ethernet cable with the satellite and there the speed stays high ans stable like expected. 

I also tried some different settings, but nothing seems to resolve the issues, except for a restart of the satellite.

I want to resolve this issue. Anyone any ideas?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Mvdput
Aspirant

Re: Slow Wifi on Netgear Orbi Satellite with ethernet backhaul

Updated the firmware manually this afternoon. My firmware was 2.5.1.8 and the Orbi router dashboard said there were no firmware updates. However, by accident I saw that version 2.5.1.16 is available which was not detected by my orbi router/satellite.
Rebooted and tested the speed settings. I get 304Mb as expected. Now wait a few days and see if the speed stays stable or lowers again after some amount of time with these new firmware.

If I test the speed when I suspect an issue. I always test with 3 devices;
- a macbook pro which is connected to the satellite via wife,
- an iPhone which is connected to the satellite via wifi
- a mac mini which is connected to the satellite by ethernet.
The speed of the mac mini is always around 300Mb, also when the speed over wifi is very slow and around 45Mb. When the wifi speed is 45Mb, both my macbook and my iphone encounter these low speeds. 
If the speed is low I mostly also move my iphone to the ground floor where the router is so it can connect to the router instead of the satellite and then I always get speeds around 290-300Mb, as expected. So the issue seems to only occur when a device is connected to the satellite via wifi and the satellite is powered on for 1 or more days. Not sure after how much time the speed drops down to around 15% of the original speed.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Check which band you're connecting to. 

2.4ghz is much slower than 5ghz. If your connecting to the 2.4ghz on the satellites, it is going to be that slow.

And the orbi's do band steering. They'll move devices from 2.4ghz/5ghz based off rssi strength, bandwidth needs, and history of usage. 

Message 2 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

Yes I know, I was always connected to the 5ghz band.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Mvdput wrote:

I have a Netgear Orbi system with a RBR50 router and 1 RBS50 Satellite. The Satelite is connected through an ethernet cable with the router, so a good and stable backhaul connection. 
My internet speed is 300Mb down.

When I am connected with my macbook or iphone through wifi with (5G) the RBR50 I get speeds of about 280Mb.
When I am connected with the same devices through wifi (5G) with my RBS50 Satellite, I get speeds of about 45Mb. I am on the same floor as the Satellite and only a few meters away. 

When I restart the Orbi router and satellite, I initial get high speeds like 280+ Mb but after a while for some unknown reason the speeds lowers dramatically to around 45Mb and stay that low.
I also have a mac mini connected through an ethernet cable with the satellite and there the speed stays high ans stable like expected. 

I also tried some different settings, but nothing seems to resolve the issues, except for a restart of the satellite.

I want to resolve this issue. Anyone any ideas?

Message 4 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

The latest firmware is loaded.

The Router is connected to a Ziggo Connectbox. Not sure what the original brand of it is.

Home size is about 2000 square feet but as I said in the original post, the satellite is connected with the router through the ethernet backhaul. not through wifi.

MiMO, Beamforming and WMM are enabled from day 1

Daisy Chain, Circle, Armor are disabled from day 1.
20/40Mhz coexstince was disabled from day 1

Fast Roaming I disabled last week, rebooted and tested again, problem still occurred.

Just disabled IPv6, set preamble to short instead of auto.

So only 2 changes made, going to reboot and test. Return later with the results.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this your modem? 

https://www.ziggo.nl/klantenservice/wifi/modem/connect-box

If so, this modem has a built in router and wifi already. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 6 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

Yes, that is my modem.

I have wifi disabled on the Ziggo modem. It used to be in bridge mode several months ago, but currently it is not not i bridoge mode. And yes, a double NATbut that doesn't prevent to get 300Mb speeds at downloads when connected to the Wifi of the Router or with an ethernet cable to the satellite. Only wifi connections to the satellite give issues with a very low speed after a while.

Just rebooted after changing the 2 settings in my previous post and now I get 302Mb download speed through wifi connected on the satellite. However, I expect it (but hope not) to be slow again tomorrow... 

I'll test again tomorrow.

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

Not all isp's bridge mode functions properly. 

An easy test if it slows down again? 

put the Ziggo back in router mode, disabled its wireless, and place the ORbi in Access point mode. You'd loose some features of the orbi but still retain the wirless mesh coverage and ethernet port usage. 

Message 8 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

Well, I can do that. But, if my internet speed is only slow when I am connected to my satellite (not the router) via Wifi 5Ghz band and my speed is perfect when connected to my satellite through ethernet or when I am connected to my router via Wifi, how can the issue be with the ISP modem/router? 
The symptoms all point to an issue with the wifi on the satellite. 

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Daisy Chain disabled on the RBR.

Message 10 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

No factory reset has been done since the last firmware update.

Just tested the speed on my Satellite wifi today after changing the settings a while ago... Again de speed is around 45Mb when going over wifi connected to my satellite. The satellite is connected through the ethernet backhaul with the router. Doing a speedtest from a mac that is connected with ethernet to the satellite give me 300Mb download speed.

I am about 1,5 meter (5 feet) away from the satellite and the satellite only gives high wifi speed (250-300Mb) after the satellite is rebooted until after some amount of time it slows to 45Mb.

So, my conclusions until  now:

- changing the settings as said in previous posts did not change anything
- ethernet backhaul connected is excellent
- connected via ethernet to the satellite gives normal speeds of 300Mb

- My ISP's modem it not relevant in this issue

- The issue is the wifi-part of the satellite itself which after an unkown amount of time slows down the wifi connection to 15% of what it should be.

This is driving me crazy and I am about to get rid of the Orbi system and switch to another brand for my entire wifi-setup.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a factory reset on the RBR and RBS. Update FW as well. Reset and setup from scratch. Be sure Diasy Chain is disabled. 

Test speeds with a couple different devices with the RBS. I would test the RBS wirelessly connected to the RBR first. Then connect the RBS wired and speed test again. 

Message 12 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

Updated the firmware manually this afternoon. My firmware was 2.5.1.8 and the Orbi router dashboard said there were no firmware updates. However, by accident I saw that version 2.5.1.16 is available which was not detected by my orbi router/satellite.
Rebooted and tested the speed settings. I get 304Mb as expected. Now wait a few days and see if the speed stays stable or lowers again after some amount of time with these new firmware.

If I test the speed when I suspect an issue. I always test with 3 devices;
- a macbook pro which is connected to the satellite via wife,
- an iPhone which is connected to the satellite via wifi
- a mac mini which is connected to the satellite by ethernet.
The speed of the mac mini is always around 300Mb, also when the speed over wifi is very slow and around 45Mb. When the wifi speed is 45Mb, both my macbook and my iphone encounter these low speeds. 
If the speed is low I mostly also move my iphone to the ground floor where the router is so it can connect to the router instead of the satellite and then I always get speeds around 290-300Mb, as expected. So the issue seems to only occur when a device is connected to the satellite via wifi and the satellite is powered on for 1 or more days. Not sure after how much time the speed drops down to around 15% of the original speed.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to reset the system after upating FW on the RBR and RBS. 

I would again, test the RBS out wirelessly connected first to see if the speed drops, then try wired. 

Message 14 of 16
Mvdput
Aspirant

After manually upgrading the firmware to the latest version, the speed seems to stay consistent.
For some reason the Orbi router did not detect that there was a new firmware version so I had to update manually. My firmware was only a few minor versions behind.

I also restored all the settings that I changed during this thread back to what they were before.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working for you now. Yes, some FW udpates don't get pushed or seen by the RBR so manual FW udpate maybe needed and is fine. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7