Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow Wifi

tshaw8261
Aspirant

Slow Wifi

I installed an Orbi RBR20 wifi system and having horrible porblems w/ very slow wifi speeds.  The box states supports up to 2gig, that seems far from the truth.  I was getting 380mbps on Iphone 10, and over 640mbps on MacPro, all wireless on old Uverse box.  Bought Orbi for more range.  Barely getting 200mbps now on all devices.  This is a huge problem, as I have gigabyte service, and getting 980+mbps to modem.  Have tried all options given by so called support desk.  Sounds like they are reading from a script.  Can anyone please help, or have any suggestions.  I like the coverage, but can't keep a product that kills my speeds.  Thanks

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@tshaw8261 wrote:

..... all wireless on old Uverse box.  .....

• Is Orbi in Router or AP mode?
  • Is the ISP modem/router bridged?
  • Is wireless switched off now on the Uverse box? 
  • Are you using wired or wireless backhaul?
  • What wired devices do you have connected to Orbi?
  • Any difference in speed between wired and wireless devices?
Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only.

@tshaw8261 wrote:

I installed an Orbi RBR20 wifi system and having horrible porblems w/ very slow wifi speeds.  The box states supports up to 2gig, that seems far from the truth.  I was getting 380mbps on Iphone 10, and over 640mbps on MacPro, all wireless on old Uverse box.  Bought Orbi for more range.  Barely getting 200mbps now on all devices.  This is a huge problem, as I have gigabyte service, and getting 980+mbps to modem.  Have tried all options given by so called support desk.  Sounds like they are reading from a script.  Can anyone please help, or have any suggestions.  I like the coverage, but can't keep a product that kills my speeds.  Thanks

Message 3 of 12
tshaw8261
Aspirant

Orbi is in router mode currently, support advised it didn't need to be in AP mode, it made no difference in speed in either mode.  Wireless radios are turned off on Uverse router.  I don't know how to bridge my router.  Just really frustrated currently.

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@tshaw8261 wrote:

Orbi is in router mode currently, support advised it didn't need to be in AP mode, it made no difference in speed in either mode.  Wireless radios are turned off on Uverse router.  I don't know how to bridge my router.  Just really frustrated currently.

• What types of wired devices do you currently have connected to Orbi?
  • Any difference in speed between wired and wireless devices?
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you give your ISP a call and have them help you get the Uverse modem/router configured for DMZ for the Orbi and help you disable the wifi on the modem/router or have them disable the wifi on the Modem/router and then configured your Orbi or AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I believe Option 3 for AP mode on the Orbi would be best solution for you. The modems wifi still needs to be disabled. Ask the ISP tech to help you with this. 

@tshaw8261 wrote:

Message 6 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I wouldn't say that getting 200 Mbps to all your devices via WiFi is a huge problem.  If you get that everywhere, then it's pretty good actually.  Orbi provides decent speeds throughout the home, not maximum speeds at a single point.  Keep in mind that Orbi has a maximum link rate of 867 Mbps, so your maximum throughput should be around 60% of that, under ideal conditions.  That's with clear line of sight to the router, in the same room, a few feet away.

That said, you should be able to do more than 200 Mbps in the same room as the router, provided you have a clean WiFi signal and you are getting maximum link rate on your client device.

If you have another router and you cannot bridge it, you should switch Orbi to AP mode. That's how I have mine, and I can get over 600 Mbps throughput via WiFi on my 2018 MacBookPros.

Before you test on the Mac, turn WiFi OFF then back ON to make sure you connect to the nearest Orbi.  Also, option click the WiFi symbol to open the detailed display and look at the Tx rate.  If it doesn't read 867 then you don't have an ideal signal. Changing position can improve the link rate. Also, be sure to close the WiFi details window, as leaving it open will kill your throughput.

Message 7 of 12
tshaw8261
Aspirant

I agree, 200 is not slow.  But when you pay for gigabyte, and see others getting over 400+ w/ the same system it can be frustrating.  The 200 or so is in same room w/ Macbook Pro.  I have read that I can put my uverse router BGW210-700 in pass through mode, then allow the Orbi to act as a router.  I am not sure if that will help at all.  

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you seeing anything near 900Mb on the wired PC with the ISP modem directly? You should be. If your not, I would contact the ISP and have them check everything. 

@tshaw8261 wrote:

I agree, 200 is not slow.  But when you pay for gigabyte, and see others getting over 400+ w/ the same system it can be frustrating.  The 200 or so is in same room w/ Macbook Pro.  I have read that I can put my uverse router BGW210-700 in pass through mode, then allow the Orbi to act as a router.  I am not sure if that will help at all.  

Message 9 of 12
tshaw8261
Aspirant

Yes, on my ISP modem I am getting 970+mb

Message 10 of 12
tshaw8261
Aspirant

The orbi router says 900 upload and 500 download.  Just not getting anywhere close on wifi?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You wont see anything near 900mb on wifi. Depending upon devices, HW support and design, most current wifi devices usually see around 400-500mb max. Not all wifi devices support those higher speeds. 

You should contact apple support to see what kind of speeds you should see with the HW you have on the Mac. it maybe maxing out on wifi for what it supports. Apple will know. If the Mac sees near 900Mb on wired connections, this is normal for wired Gb connections only. 

@tshaw8261 wrote:

The orbi router says 900 upload and 500 download.  Just not getting anywhere close on wifi?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7