Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Wireless - Restart Required

Tbsteph
Star

Slow Wireless - Restart Required

I have owned the RBR 50 with one satellite for about 3 years. It is connected via  200Mps service from Spectrum iand is n router mode. I have lived through probably 10 firmware updates. Yet, to this day, I need to periodically reboot the system to regain maximum wireless speed. (No problems with ethernet connections.) About every week or so I notice my wireless connetion speed has dropped from around 225 Mbps to 30 Mbps. Why? This situation is annoying to say the least. When the Orbi works it's great. FWIW, I have read many posts on this site discussing slow wireless speed - none of which have which provided an answer. Disable this, enable that, change this, change that - none of which have made a iota's difference. Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slow Wireless - Restart Required

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 7
vajim
Master

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
Tbsteph
Star

I expected this response. You or someone posts the same thing whenever wireless speed is questioned. Anyway, I have already implemented all of the suggestions made regarding enabling disabling various settings. Firmware is current 2.7.1.60. As mentioned in first post, none of the suggestions make any difference. No interference from neighbors, etc. This is the second home I have set-up with the RBR50 with the exact same problem. The best analogy I can come-up with is the router becomes constipated. Restarting is the only thing that clears the issue. Forgive my venting. I realize this is a user forum and appreciate other users piping in with their experience.

Message 4 of 7
vajim
Master

"the router becomes constipated."

how old is it...Orbi???

and there are lots of complaints about  2.7.1.60.

do a search here....good luck

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand the frustrations too. 

v2.7 can be a mixed bag of good and not well. 

If v2.7 doesn't seem to work well, you might downgrade to v16. 

Have you reset the system after any FW update and the problem still continues? 

Do you have any Armor, Circle or IPv6 enabled? 

@Tbsteph wrote:

I expected this response. You or someone posts the same thing whenever wireless speed is questioned. Anyway, I have already implemented all of the suggestions made regarding enabling disabling various settings. Firmware is current 2.7.1.60. As mentioned in first post, none of the suggestions make any difference. No interference from neighbors, etc. This is the second home I have set-up with the RBR50 with the exact same problem. The best analogy I can come-up with is the router becomes constipated. Restarting is the only thing that clears the issue. Forgive my venting. I realize this is a user forum and appreciate other users piping in with their experience.

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

Firmware?

how do you get your current firmware?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation