Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow connection when connected to satellite

Pfredd
Guide

Slow connection when connected to satellite

I have an ORBI CBR40 cable modem (firmware version: V2.3.5.12) and an ORBI RBS40 satellite (firmware version: V2.3.5.30). The RBS40 connects to the CBR40 via 5GHz wi-fi and the connection status shows up as "good".

When a Wi-Fi device connects to the CBR40, it gets around 200Mb/s throughput, according to speedtest.net . But, when the same device connects to the RBS40 Wi-Fi, the throughput drops to around 50 Mb/s.

I connected to the RBS40 via ethernet and the speed was still around 50 Mb/s, so it appears to be a Backhaul issue.

I moved the RBS40 to the floor below, and directly inderneath the CBR40 but that did not have any effect on the throughput.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow connection when connected to satellite

What is your housing materials made of? 

There should be a minimum of 30ft between router and satellite for them to function properly

Try enabling/disabling these settings to see if they help: beamforming, mu-mimo

If you haven't done so since the firmware was updated, try factory resetting and starting over. It shouldn't need to be done but it wouldn't be the first time a firmware update caused issues and a reset/reinstall fixed things. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7