Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow downloads due to high CPU load with V1.12.0.18 firmware

bigfellanz
Guide

Slow downloads due to high CPU load with V1.12.0.18 firmware

My internet access is 1000/100, and requires VLAN tagging to connect. This has been working very well with the Orbi for the last couple of months.

Since upgrading to V1.12.0.18, my download speeds have tanked - where I was getting 70MB/s pretty consistently I'm now getting ~16MB/s. This is over a gig ethernet connection into the router, downloading from the same server.

What I did notice was that when looking at https://192.168.1.1/debug.htm the "CPU Load" figure is pegged at 99%+ while downloading at full speed. When I limit the download speed, the CPU Load drops accordingly, and stopping downloads and other background tasks (eg Backblaze backups) drops the CPU Load to 7%-15%.

It's a pretty stock config:

Things that are turned off - traffic monitor, IPv6, block sites, dynamic QoS, internet access QoS.

Things that are turned on - block services (but it runs on a schedule blocking all services overnight for some IPs), OpenDNS.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas? I may roll back to the previous firmware just to confirm the latest release is the cause.

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Slow downloads due to high CPU load with V1.12.0.18 firmware

Hello bigfellanz

Did you try a factory reset after going to the new firmware?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello bigfellanz

DarrenM

Have you guys missed the massive thread covering this and a myriad of other issues with the V1.12.0.18 firmware? It's eight pages and growing and it's been filled with complaints since the firmware was released.

Here it is, just in case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/8

I have this exact issue, VLAN tagging, cpu pegging at 100, ethernet to internet speeds dropped from 750Mbps to 100Mbps. Factory resetting doesn't fix the problem, the issue is the firmware and the only resolution is to roll it back, but unfortunately there's no way to disable auto-updates.

Can we please get some response beyond the first level toggle the power/factory reset stuff?

Message 3 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@scornwell wrote:

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello bigfellanz

DarrenM

Have you guys missed the massive thread covering this and a myriad of other issues with the V1.12.0.18 firmware? It's eight pages and growing and it's been filled with complaints since the firmware was released.

Here it is, just in case:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/8

I have this exact issue, VLAN tagging, cpu pegging at 100, ethernet to internet speeds dropped from 750Mbps to 100Mbps. Factory resetting doesn't fix the problem, the issue is the firmware and the only resolution is to roll it back, but unfortunately there's no way to disable auto-updates.

Can we please get some response beyond the first level toggle the power/factory reset stuff?

What you're describing is what some of us were experencing with 1.11.x.  For some of us, 1.12.0.16-18 fixed these issues.

Message 4 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

What you're describing is what some of us were experencing with 1.11.x.  For some of us, 1.12.0.16-18 fixed these issues.

I don't have this issue with 1.11, only 1.12. They may we'll be two separate issues with similar symptoms. 1.11 it's far more stable for me, 1.12 is buggy as hell.

What's your maximum internet connection speed?

Message 5 of 26
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@scornwell wrote:

@TXGunLover wrote:

I don't have this issue with 1.11, only 1.12. They may we'll be two separate issues with similar symptoms. 1.11 it's far more stable for me, 1.12 is buggy as hell.

What's your maximum internet connection speed?

300/20 is my service speed, and I regularly get 350/25.

1.11 broke a perfectly stable Orbi setup with two sats for my 90+ devices, and thankfully, 1.12.0.16-18 fixed what 1.11 broke.  There are definitely a lot of different issues going on, but 1.12.0.16-18 is near perfect.

Message 6 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

Perfect for you perhaps, but clearly not for a significant number of others. The firmware is a long way from perfect.

Maybe VLAN tagging is the differentiator?
Message 7 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@DarrenM Anything? 

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but at the moment I have a $500 router that's next to worthless because of a buggy firmware update, that I can't avoid because of an insane forced update policy, and after 10 days there's been no acknowledgement from netgear. Nothing.

Can we please get some kind of acknowledgement that you're hearing us and looking into these issues?

Message 8 of 26
bigfellanz
Guide

@scornwell wrote:
Perfect for you perhaps, but clearly not for a significant number of others. The firmware is a long way from perfect.

I might try putting another router in front of the Orbi, disable the VLAN tagging on the Orbi, and see if there is a difference in CPU usage.

Message 9 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@bigfellanz wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

I might try putting another router in front of the Orbi, disable the VLAN tagging on the Orbi, and see if there is a difference in CPU usage.

Good call. Let me know how you get on. 

Message 10 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

For anyone having the vlan tagging issue please send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number our support team wants to work with you on the issue.

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 11 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

Awesome, thank you @DarrenM. PM sent.

Message 12 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@bigfellanz Are you a Kiwi by chance?

Message 13 of 26
bigfellanz
Guide

@scornwell wrote:

Yep. Connected to Vodafone FibreX, which is functionally the same as UFB from a CPE configuration point of view.

Message 14 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@bigfellanz wrote:

@scornwell wrote:

Yep. Connected to Vodafone FibreX, which is functionally the same as UFB from a CPE configuration point of view.

Ha, same here, same connection too. Small world!

Message 15 of 26
kohlc69
Guide

Since the V1.12.0.18 firmware update. My download speed is appalling and operating at much lower speed before it get update. Before i am getting 200-300mbps but now i only 30-50mbps. Also I am on VLAN tagging due to requirement from service provider. Please let me know when a new firmware will fix these issues????

Message 16 of 26
kohlc69
Guide

Any finding or update on this?

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello everyone 

For anyone having the vlan tagging issue please send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number our support team wants to work with you on the issue.

Thanks 

DarrenM

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello everyone 

Thanks 

DarrenM

Message 17 of 26
kohlc69
Guide

Any reply on this?

Message 18 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

Read the post by Darren above.
Message 19 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

@bigfellanz Have you managed to talk to support yet? I way away until the weekend, got an email reply from them this evening saying they be in touch soon. I just hope it's not going to be the usual turn-it-of-and-on-again stuff. I've spent more than enough time on this already.

At the moment I'm kicking myself for not just going with Google WiFi like I originally planned.

Message 20 of 26
bigfellanz
Guide

Thought I should update this - I've been in discussions with Netgear Support, sending debug captures etc, but unfortunately no progress and no advice beyond trying the beta release, which is disappointing really.

Problem is still there with V2.0.0.72.

I'm running V1.11.0.20 as this is the latest version where internet performance is acceptable. 

Message 21 of 26
kohlc69
Guide

Agree, latest firmware did not fix the issue. Thinking of downgrade to 1.11..0.20, will system revert back to latest firmware after reboot?

Message 22 of 26
bigfellanz
Guide

@kohlc69 wrote:

Agree, latest firmware did not fix the issue. Thinking of downgrade to 1.11..0.20, will system revert back to latest firmware after reboot?

Yep, it will - there is a telnet solution listed elsewhere here that has done the job so far. Going back to this release has meant setting up another AP for Sonos & Dropcam as they refused to work reliablly with this version, which isn't ideal!

Message 23 of 26
scornwell
Apprentice

I've been back and forth with support over this for two months now. All they've offered is a beta release which does nothing at all to improve the issue. It's hard to come to any other conclusion that Netgear are just throwing these releases out and hoping they'll fix the issue without actually testing it directly. 

My testing points to the issue being tied to VLAN tagging and WAN handoff and I communicated that to them. Support seem to be ignoring this completely. Another case of Netgear knows best I guess. 

My Orbi is sitting in a box, waiting on a firmware update so I can sell it. I'm now using Google WiFi which has worked out so much better. Unfortunately Google WiFi doesn't support VLAN tagging, but throw a cheap ($50) smart switch between the router and modem and you're good to go. I got mine for PBTech here: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SWHNGR2565906/NETGEAR-ProSAFE-GS105Ev2-5-Port-Gigabit-Web-Manage

Netgear support is rubbish, their quality assurance is rubbish and because of that an otherwise great piece of hardware is rubbish. 

Message 24 of 26
kohlc69
Guide

I have contacted Singapore Sales support to raise concern of latest firmware still not fixing the issue. He said he will me to escalate internally, hopefully it fix the problem in the coming release. 

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7