Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow downloads speeds

IanBeck
Aspirant

Slow downloads speeds

Hi all

Hoping someone can help me.

I have a virgin 200 megabit virgin broadband service which runs fine and on speed with the virgin router.  I ahve a rbr50 and two satellites connected to it.  The main rbr50 is fine, I get great speeds from it, but with the two satellites, I only get around 6 or 7 megabit speed when I use speedtest to test it, however when i run a speedtest using the orbi app on my phone or ipad, it says its getting the full download speed of 220 megabits.  Can anyone help me resolve this? 

Many thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Slow downloads speeds

The app tests using the main routers built in speed test. To test the satellites you need to be connected to them and use the speed test app. It's also recommended for testing to hard wire into them for testing. It'll give you the most accurate results.
What firmware are you on?
What size area are you covering?
How far apart are the satellites from the main router? 30 foot is minimum distance.
What are your settings for beamforming, mu-mimo, daisy chain?
Message 2 of 4
IanBeck
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for your reply

My firmware version is V2.3.1.48

My system is covering my flat's area which is around 80 feet.

From my router to the first satellite is around 50 feet and then an aditional 30 feet.

It is daisy chaning them, and Im not sure what you mean bot beamforcing and mu-mimo

I am using the orbi app while connected to the satellite signal to test the speed, it gives me full speed (220 gig), but when I run an independant test using speedtest app its crawling along at 6/7 gig.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@IanBeck wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply

My firmware version is V2.3.1.48

My system is covering my flat's area which is around 80 feet.

From my router to the first satellite is around 50 feet and then an aditional 30 feet.

It is daisy chaning them, and Im not sure what you mean bot beamforcing and mu-mimo

I am using the orbi app while connected to the satellite signal to test the speed, it gives me full speed (220 gig), but when I run an independant test using speedtest app its crawling along at 6/7 gig.  

Again, the reason why the orbi app is showing higher speeds is because it uses its own built in speedtest using the base router. That means its actually running off the router itself (through the hardwired connection) and reporting these results to the app. That's why you're getting great results from the orbi app. When you're running it independent, its through your device thats either connected to the router or satellite. 

With that being said, a lot of speed can depend on what you're testing with (device), the location (obstacles such as concrete, brick reduce wifi), interference (from other wifi or devices). 

To truly test you satellites, you need to be hardwired into them and then run the speedtest on that device. That'll tell you if your problem is with you wireless backhaul connection or with your device. 

in terms of the beamforming and mu-mimo, I'll link to the manual. It has all those listed and details on them. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx

You also say "it is daisy chaining them". How do you know? How many satellites are you running for a 80 ft flat? The minimum recommended distance is 30 feet but they'll go further as its just the recommended minimum. You'll have more problems having them to close or multiple Orbi's in to small of an area.

How many square feet is your flat? Are your walls wood/sheetrock or concrete? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7