Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow ethernet performance on Orbi

quintinmorris
Aspirant

Slow ethernet performance on Orbi

Hello,

I have xfinity 1 Gb service to the house and a xfinity xfi modem in bridge mode.  My router is an orbi RBK50 with 2 satellites connected through ethernet for the backhaul.  My workstation connects via ethernet.  When I run a speedtest at the router I get speeds of ~600Mbps.  Doing speed tests throughout my house on my phone i get speeds that range from 100-400Mbps depending on how close I am to one of the satellites.  My workstation which connects via ethernet get 95Mbps every time.   It seems like the wired connection should be much closer to the speeds seen by the router itself.  is this correct?  Could it be limited?  Between the workstation and the router there is a GS108e switch.  Everything should be 1Gb.  The network card on my workstation says 1.0 Gbps when I check the speed of the connection in the network status for the NIC.  

Help!

Thanks,

Q

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
quintinmorris
Aspirant

Re: Slow ethernet performance on Orbi

Thanks for the responses everyone!  I tested the cables and the cable between the router and the switch was bad!  All fixed and getting the same performance as the router on the ethernet!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If your client is wired to Orbi LAN port, you should get ~900Mbps.  If your Satellite backhaul is also wired, your wired client from Satellite should see similar LAN speed.  For wireless backhaul, it varies between ~250-500Mbps for wireles clients or Satellite's wired clients.  Check out this thread.

Message 2 of 6
quintinmorris
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply! 

Reading through that thread I htink my situation is a little different as my backhaul is all wired and my switch plugs directly into the orbi router, not a satellite.  its frustrating that the ethernet performance is 1/10th of the service speed.  It doesn't make sense!  I get 600 Mbps on wifi in some places.  cabling is all Cat 6...

Q

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What are you speed results if you remove the switch between the RBR and PC? 

Try testing with a different PC to compare results...

Message 4 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Sound like a problem with link negotiation between client/switch/Orbi LAN ports.  It's likely that it's currently doing 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps.  Try this:

• Power cycle the switch connected to Orbi
  • Power cycle the client
  • Verify Orbi LAN port to make sure it's settled on 1000Mbps for the client on the switch
  • Rerun the test (possibly with different cables) 

Message 5 of 6
quintinmorris
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses everyone!  I tested the cables and the cable between the router and the switch was bad!  All fixed and getting the same performance as the router on the ethernet!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7