Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow internet connection - Lenovo ThinkPad 1X Carbon 7th

B-LLoyd
Aspirant

Slow internet connection - Lenovo ThinkPad 1X Carbon 7th

I have a 2 bedroom apartment with a living room.  Modem with Orbi Mesh RBR20 router are in the bedroom.  Satellite 1 is connected to DirecTV DVR in Living Room and Satellite 2 is in adjacent office room to the bedroom.  Probably all 20- 30 feet apart from all 3 orbi units (1 router, 2 satellites).  All devices are connecting fine except for the Lenovo ThinkPad 1X in the office.  Constantly has slow internet connectivity.  It connects thru wi-fi to Satellite 2.  Is the a wi-fi card issue in the laptop?  Are there communication issues with the Orbi mesh if they're "too close" to one another?  Going to try an ethernet adapter to plug directly into Satellite 2, but even when that Satellite is off, the Lenovo laptop has internet connectivity/speed issues with the 1 router, 1 satellite setup from the rooms next to where the laptop is used.  All other devices (iphones, ipad, xbox1, directv dvrs, 10+ year old toshiba laptop) all connect fast and successfully in the current Orbi Wi-fi mesh setup in the apartment.  I can not figure this out -- been looking at numerous community forums.  I've spoken to netgear support.  NOTHING!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Slow internet connection - Lenovo ThinkPad 1X Carbon 7th

Normally, a WiFi access point can manage good service "one room away", so the 2nd satellite may not be needed.

How is this Orbi administered?  (web interface or Orbi "app")

And, how is the Lenovo performance being measured?

Message 2 of 4
B-LLoyd
Aspirant

I've administered it both ways, but am currently logged into the router on my laptop to see more options.  Considering trying to change channel frequencies.  Was reading online about enabling:  1) BEAMforming, 2) MU-MIMO and/or 3) Fast roaming to see if that would help fix the issue, but I honestly have to idea what the hell that even means.

On the Lenovo, doing a speedtest after watching the webpages slow extremely slowly.  The speedtest at times would show very fast speed but then fluctuates when you run the test again showing very slow.  It makes no sense.  I've done numerous hard re-setting of the modem and the router and 2 satellites and sometimes it fixes it temporarily, but inevitably it reverts back to speed issues.  The router wi-fi signal seems to be fine and the ISP internet signal speed is fine on all the other devices.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

When I click on "Properties" of my Lenovo ThinkPad, it shows that I am connected to 5G channel 48 (which is correct), but it says nothing about the "Link Rate" between the Lenovo and the Orbi.

The Orbi "app" does show the Link Rate (as far as I can tell, the Orbi web interface does not).  Would be interesting trivia to know what the app reports for your Lenovo.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7