Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow speeds for Orbi satelite

lithium630
Follower

Slow speeds for Orbi satelite

Hello!  I'm shocked that Netgear doesn't let you ask support a question unless you pay more.  In any case, I have an Orbi AC3000 router and one satelite.  This is my first mesh system.  When connected to the router, my speeds are around 230 mbps but when connected to the satelite, it's only about 80 mbps.  I'm basing that on standing near the router vs standing near the satelite. The satelite is connected through cat6.  Is this speed difference normal?  I'm wondering if there is an issue with the ethernet cable. 

Thank you

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Slow speeds for Orbi satelite

(a quote from Casablanca, "I'm shocked. Shocked".   Good one.)

There are two quick steps to confirm the connection using the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices page:

1. How does it show the satellite connected?
    WiFi or wired?
  2. Which Orbi is the device that is being used to measure speed connected to?
    Router or Satellite?
Message 2 of 3
alokeprasad
Mentor

Re: Slow speeds for Orbi satelite

Many questions:

Whats the firmware used on the Orbi's?

What device are you using to get your speed numbers?  Is it a WiFi device that supports 5G?

Can you verify the device is connected to the Orbi router or the satellite using the Orbi Web interface when measuring the speeds?

How are you measuring these spped values? which app?

Can you connect a laptop or something to the ethernet port on the satellite to see the speeds you are getting from the satellite-router link (which is cat6, I know..)?

My approach is: First verify that the router's ethernet ports and Wifi connections are functioning as expected.

Then verify that the satellite's ethernet ports are functioning as expected.

Then check the performance of the satellite's WiFi interface.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7