Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow speeds on WiFI

Jagan
Aspirant

Slow speeds on WiFI

Hi,

Got Orbi few days back very happy with the coverage even upgraded to the latest firmwarie which was release today.

Using 100Mbps Fiber connection from my PC to Orbi thorugh LAN which on speedtest, I get like 90-100Mbps range which is very good,One big problem is WiFi speeds which never goes past 25-35Mbps on Mobile devices/iPads tested it multiple times on speedtest.net.

Tested this sitting right in front of the router like 1 feet away. Same speeds near the Satellite which is placed like 30 feet away. So is this a faulty hardware? Netgear support says I should go for RMA they tried changing a lot of settings but no avail.

Any advise would be great

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you ever factory reset the unit since updating it?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
Jagan
Aspirant

Yes sir did factory reset after the firmware update once. Now I have retuned the product for replacement as the local netgear support here advised me to get a replcement unit

Waiting for the reaplcment to arrrive will keep us updated regarding this.

Another thing want to mention here, Same slow speed on WiFi is also occuring on my 4 year old Netgear router WNDR4500 v2 not really sure if this is a coincedene

I talked with my ISP regarding this & they are confirming it is not the problem from the connection end

Message 3 of 9
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

It seems to me you might have some kind of interferance going on since two totally different Wi-Fi systems are having the same issue, hopefully your new unit will not experience it. I would advise you however to try using different broadcasting channels on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frecuencies, also look out for other devices on your network that might be causing interference or have their own created networks ie: Soundbars, DVRs, Microwaves etc, try shutting them off and see if the speed improves, you might need to restart your Orbi while the other devices are off when you try this

Message 4 of 9
Jagan
Aspirant

Yes thanks for the advice waiting for replacment to arrive so I can test it again. Here not using any other devices in the pc room apart from my logitech G933 & Xbox wirlesss dongle.

Will get back to this post after furuther testing

Message 5 of 9
Jagan
Aspirant

Just wanted post the update regarding the issue now my replacment Orbi has arrived

Tested it with default firmware speed was more are like same 20-40mbps

So updated both Router/Satellite to latest version V2.0.0.72. Looks like this have fixed the issues, Now on speedtest seeing speeds like 85-95mbps, Even near the Satellite which is like 35 feet away from my router also giving similar speeds.

So just wanted to ask one question. So I need to do a factory reset of  both Router/Modem now after upgrading the firmware is this a must?

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

If it ain't broken, don't fix it, that's my opinion, I have never done a factory reset after upgrading firmware and I have never experienced any issues, anyway if you still decide to do it, remember to backup your configuration in settings so you don't have to re-do the whole thing again, but if I was you I wouldn't do a factory reset, only do that when you have issues you can not normaly fix.

Message 7 of 9
Jagan
Aspirant

Re: Slow speeds on WiFi

Thanks sir for the advice. Will keep using this as of now without doing a factory reset

Message 8 of 9
georgengan
Star

Re: Slow speeds on WiFi

You can consider using freeware version such as NetSpot to check which wifi, channels, and strength are surrounding ur environment before you decide which channel to switch on your Orbi router. I find this step to be very useful in choosing the optimal channel.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7