Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow upload speeds with Orbi RBR50

GB_NET
Aspirant

Slow upload speeds with Orbi RBR50

If I run the speedtest from the QoS Setup page in the Orbi admin console, I get:

Download: 90.56 Mbps

Upload: 41.27 Mbps

If I run speedtest from my wirelessly connected Surface Pro laptop I get:

Download: 92.47 Mbps

Upload: 16.95 Mbps

My laptop is 4 metres from the router.

From talking to my ISP I should be getting speeds like those reported by the Orbi QoS speedtest.

A search suggested changing QoS settings at 192.168.1.1/QOS_main.htm.

However, attempting to do so returns a 400 bad request and the settings aren't changed.

Does anyone know why the upload speed from my laptop is half the speed and how this can be improved?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try a different wireless device to compare upload speeds with. 

@GB_NET wrote:

If I run the speedtest from the QoS Setup page in the Orbi admin console, I get:

Download: 90.56 Mbps

Upload: 41.27 Mbps

If I run speedtest from my wirelessly connected Surface Pro laptop I get:

Download: 92.47 Mbps

Upload: 16.95 Mbps

My laptop is 4 metres from the router.

From talking to my ISP I should be getting speeds like those reported by the Orbi QoS speedtest.

A search suggested changing QoS settings at 192.168.1.1/QOS_main.htm.

However, attempting to do so returns a 400 bad request and the settings aren't changed.

Does anyone know why the upload speed from my laptop is half the speed and how this can be improved?

Thanks.

Message 2 of 9
GB_NET
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestions.

The firmware level is 2.3.1.48.

The modem is an Arris CM8200.

The distance between the router and satellite is just under 30 ft.

I've tried with two laptops. Both have been about 10 ft from the router (40 ft from the satellite).

I'm using Auto and 36. I've also tried channels 6 and 48 but this made no difference.

My laptops both use the 5 GHz channel.

I've used Acrylic to take a look at the channels being broadcast and I don't see any issues with neighbors etc. My channels dominate.

WPA2-PSK is configured.

As I said, the download speeds using speedtest.net on the laptops match with that reported by the router under the QoS settings so I would think that the wireless connections are fine.

I might try the advanced settings you suggested when I get a chance.

I would like to understand the upload speed discrepancy. This would help determine if there's a solution.

Message 3 of 9
GB_NET
Aspirant

Also, does anyone know if you can determine or specify which server the router uses for the speedtest?

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What does a mobile phone or pad result in for the upload speed? 

Message 5 of 9
GB_NET
Aspirant

Thanks for your assistance.

I have a support ticket open with Netgear and they're getting me to try a few things.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it goes. Let us know if any of the suggestions help as well. 

Message 7 of 9
WHTMTN
Tutor

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am experiencing the exact same issue. Have tried playing with all of the settings but stilll slow on the upload. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progess on this? 

@GB_NET wrote:

Thanks for your assistance.

I have a support ticket open with Netgear and they're getting me to try a few things.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7