Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wifi RBR50

radamo
Apprentice

Slow wifi RBR50

I am running the latest firmware on my orbi.  2.3.5.30.  My wired connection is over 400Mb down and over 30 up.  Wifi used to be close to that.  Now running speedtest from my phone about 20 feet from my router and I am getting 80Mb down???  Just tried a few different channels and no real difference???

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@radamo wrote:

I am running the latest firmware on my orbi.  2.3.5.30.  My wired connection is over 400Mb down and over 30 up.  Wifi used to be close to that.  Now running speedtest from my phone about 20 feet from my router and I am getting 80Mb down???  Just tried a few different channels and no real difference???

What kind of modem do you have?

Message 2 of 9
radamo
Apprentice

Arris cable modem.

Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@radamo wrote:

Arris cable modem.

and your previous router was...??

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

has your phone been moved to the 2.4ghz band with orbi?  That'll reduce your speeds quite significantly. 

Message 5 of 9
radamo
Apprentice

Results are both with Orbi RBR50 this current firmware vs. whatever the last few were.  Both with iPhone X and both on 5Ghz network. 

Message 6 of 9
plemans
Guru

wifi isn't the best for doing speed testing as many factors can influence what speeds you get. 

If you hardwire into the router and extender with a pc, what speeds do you get? 

Have you tried changing wireless channels? Or doing a wireless channel scan to see if anythings interferring with the channel you're using?

enabling/disabling beamforming, airtimefairness, mu-mimo?

Message 7 of 9
radamo
Apprentice

PC get over 400. Also windows laptop gets over 400 and it is also wireless... So only iPhone seems to have been negatively affected by the new firmware.

Scanned and tried moving to what is now the least used 2.4 and 5 ghz bands.  I say now because 6 months ago it was different. Exact same results.

Have not tried changing: enabling/disabling beamforming, airtimefairness, mu-mimo?  So same settings as with last firmware.

Message 8 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Try telling your iPhone to "forget" your WiFi network. Then reboot your iPhone and reconnect to your WiFi. Good luck! 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7