Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow wifi with current firmware

RobBass
Guide

Slow wifi with current firmware

I got the Orbi for a killer deal and after a relatively easy setup and a firmware update, I am so disapointed.  I have Spectrum 300/25 and the Orbi in random parts of my home, I get wifi speed test results arond 20-100 (if I am lucky), results are all over the place and not in any way consisitent.  So of course I hit the good ole internet and there are pages of posts like this one.  So I tried a bunch of stuff and only one thing seems to have worked and that was reverting back to the an earlier 1.0 base version of the firmware but even with that the results are not exactly consistent, but heck of a lot better than 2.x firmware.  I am coming from an ASRock Gaming router and say what you will, it was rock solid speed wise but downstairs the coverage was 3 bars at best.  So reading all the rave reviews about the Orbi I bought it, but now I am strongly considering looking elsewhere. I like the product, I now have 5 bars downstairs but is it worth dealing with the inconsistent speeds and Netgears apparent lack of support in hopes of one day it being great?  I have 30 days to return so I am soliciting opinions.  I ready about factory resets and Nvram etc etc but really I need to jump though hoops like that on a product that retails fo 2x the cost of top routers?  Again, talk me off the ledge or are these products not mature yet?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
RobBass
Guide

Re: Slow wifi with current firmware

This firmware is going to cause a lot of returns and bad reviews for anyone who newly buys this product, I did nothing out of the ordinary, I followed the instructions, which worked, and as soon as I ran a speed test with the new firmware I was like uhhhhhh....wth.  I am pretty tech savy and things are better with an older firmware, but for the average home user... good luck.  Can't believe they let that firware out of the door without through regression testing.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7