Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow wired download speed with AT&T Gigabit

tosehee
Aspirant

Slow wired download speed with AT&T Gigabit

I have AT&T Gigabit, and if I connect directly to the modem, I get 900mbps down/up. However, if I connect through Orbi (wired), the upstream remains the same, but the downstream cuts in half.

It hovers around 500 mbps at the most. I have no clue why this is happening. I tried IP passthrough, AP or Router Mode. Disabled all packet filters and advanced firewall rules in Modem. But nothing helps. 

Is this an issue with Orbi?

Message 1 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tosehee wrote:

I tried IP passthrough, AP or Router Mode. Disabled all packet filters and advanced firewall rules in Modem. But nothing helps. 

Is this an issue with Orbi?

What is your setup?  Modem, Orbi?  Or some type of modem/router or another stand alone router?

Message 2 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

at&t router -> orbi rbr 50 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@tosehee wrote:

at&t router -> orbi rbr 50 

Message 4 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

There is no bridge mode for this modem. I've already enabled the IP Passhrough with fixed DHCP to the Orbi Router.

As I wrote in the original thread, that didn't help one bit.

I tried both AP and Router mode, and with and without the DHCP Servers in either modem or Orbi router.

Neither of them helped at all which is why I am posting the question whether the issue is the Orbi router itself.

Again, if I connect directly to the modem, I get 950mbps. If I connect to the Orbi ethernet port, I get 500mbps... At this point, I am blaming the Orbi here..

But I wanted to double check before I return this unit back to Best buy.

Message 5 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

Below is the testing result direclty from modem.

10/13/2018 14:38:31 downstream 964.505 70 9.435
10/13/2018 14:38:25 upstream 899.986 70 6.671

And as I wrote, the upstream remains the same, but downstream is only 500mbps WITH hard wired to the Orbi Router.

Message 6 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

Any network tech support who can help out here?

Message 7 of 15
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is a hardware limitation of the Orbi when in routing mode. The Orbi don't have wired speed routing with their ethernet ports.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the Orbi connected to the modem? WAN port or LAN port. If WAN port on the Orbi, try the LAN port on the Orbi in AP mode to the modem. Also swap out LAN cables to be sure. Use good quality CAT6 LAN cables. 

Try this as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

If all this fails and you can't seem to get 900Mb on wired connections thru the Orbi, possible that your Orbi router is faulty and would need to be replaced or RMAd.

@Christian_R

@tosehee wrote:

There is no bridge mode for this modem. I've already enabled the IP Passhrough with fixed DHCP to the Orbi Router.

As I wrote in the original thread, that didn't help one bit.

I tried both AP and Router mode, and with and without the DHCP Servers in either modem or Orbi router.

Neither of them helped at all which is why I am posting the question whether the issue is the Orbi router itself.

Again, if I connect directly to the modem, I get 950mbps. If I connect to the Orbi ethernet port, I get 500mbps... At this point, I am blaming the Orbi here..

But I wanted to double check before I return this unit back to Best buy.

Message 9 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

I already tried AP mode, but using the WAN port. Let me try with the LAN port and see if that works.

As for cable, I am already using cat6 cable already.

Message 10 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

Tried AP mode with connected to LAN Port. The download speed is exactly same.....

Any other idea?

Message 11 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

BTW, already on the latest firmware..

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask for additional help and information. Others have reported getting 900Mb on the down. Possible either there is a incompatbility between the ISP modem and the Orbi router or the router could be faulty..

@Christian_R

Message 13 of 15
tosehee
Aspirant

Do you have a reference to these thread? 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't, been a while since they were posted. Please contact NG support and go from there. 

You can check the Recommendation links to the left side of this thread to see if anything is listed there or do a search. 

@tosehee wrote:

Do you have a reference to these thread? 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7