Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Smart TV Connection

Drake0508
Star

Smart TV Connection

Hey everyone,

I have a smart TV that is approximately 10 feet from my satellite. For some reason it continues to try and connect to the 2.4 GHz channel on my Orbi. There is a lot of lag in buffering. Any possible solutions to this problem? To clarify, the device that is buffering is actually an Amazon fire stick. It should take both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz network's. Why would I try to connect to 2.4? And even though it is connected to two. 2.4ghz, why would the connection be so slow?
Message 1 of 8
Glenee
Apprentice

What speed is your Internet ? Is there anything else around that would interfer with the signal ? If it is a Fire stick with Kodi that alone could be it. Give us some info.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 8
Drake0508
Star

My current speeds from ISP are 100/10. I observe 112/11.5 on average throughout the house. All other devices connect appropriately. The fire staticky is not loaded with Kodi. It is stock. There shouldn't be any interference between the satellite and the fire stick. My Wi-Fi readings from my phone all read high however I'm not sure if I am connected to 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz. There is no way for me to connect to either of them exclusively. The fire stick is the only device in the house that suffers from lag or buffering. I do not have any baby monitors are cordless phones That I can see interfering with the 2.4 GHz signal I just wonder why I can't force the fire stick to connect to 5 GHz. That is why I bought the device. Her TV only connects to 2.4 GHz
Message 3 of 8
st_shaw
Master

Try moving the satellite in relation to the Fire Stick and see if that helps. Try a few different locations closer and farther away, and at different angles.

Message 4 of 8
MarkC1024
Luminary

In my experience, Smart TV's have very lowend wifi chipsets - I try to avoid using it if possible.

Message 5 of 8
Glenee
Apprentice

Drake. Your going to think I'm nuts, but are you using the extender with the fire stick ? If you ar etry removing it and plugging the fire stick straight into the HDMI Port.

All the Best,
glenee

Message 6 of 8
Drake0508
Star

I have it plugged into the hdmi port and there is a power plug attached at the end. Is that what you mean?
Message 7 of 8
Glenee
Apprentice

The power has to be there. I was talking about the short extender cable that comes in the box, the extender cable is used primarly for tight fit to certain TV's.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7