Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

So far I'm stable, but...

marcosoul
Guide

So far I'm stable, but...

I have 1 RBR50 (Router) and 2 RBR40 (Satelites). I have been extremely frustrated that I spend $400+ and would have constant issues with performance and stabilty in my network. After playing with configuration settings, I would eventually be stable again but then when another update comes out, its back to the drawing board! Smiley Mad

I am now stable again on 2.1.2.10 Smiley Happy ; however, I have to turn off the following Smiley Sad:

- Daisy-chain

- BEAMFORMING

- MU-MIMO

- Fast Roaming

I turned on MU-MIMO and BEAMFORMING then started to notice my Sonos speakers would cutout more often and have issues connecting to Spotify and Soundcloud.

For many of us, just getting to a point of stablity is a relief but we didn't spend all this money for stability. That should be a given! We paid the extra $$$ for speed and coverage. This is not acceptable. We should be able to utilize all the features of our device.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Re: So far I'm stable, but...

How are your Sonos devices setup? Are you using WiFi?  Do you have any of your Sonos devices connected via wired Ethernet?

Sonos and Orbi can interfere with each other depending upon how they are setup.

Message 2 of 4
marcosoul
Guide

WiFi and I have an Sonos Connect that is wired. I also have an Sonos Boost as a dedicated extender for the Sonos speakers. How would they be interfering with each other if I turn BEAMFORMING and/or MU-MIMO on?

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

@marcosoul wrote:

WiFi and I have an Sonos Connect that is wired. I also have an Sonos Boost as a dedicated extender for the Sonos speakers. How would they be interfering with each other if I turn BEAMFORMING and/or MU-MIMO on?

Here's the problem.  If you have even just one Sonos device wired, then the Sonos system switches to using Sonosnet. Sonosnet uses the same 2.4 GHz channels as Orbi's WIFI, so you must manually set Orbi and Sonos to use non-overlapping channels on 2.4 GHz.  Set one of them to use CH 11 and the other to CH 1. You use the Sonos app to set the channel for Sonos.

That should resolve the Sonos issues, unless you have other interference on 2.4 GHz besides Orbi. I don't know how mu-mimo and beamforming interact when you have overlapping channels, but it's a moot point really.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7