Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Solid Magenta Ring on RBS50 Satellite

CoquiLostInNY
Aspirant

Solid Magenta Ring on RBS50 Satellite

I have the Orbi RBR50 with one (1) satellite (RBS50) setup in my home and it was working perfectly for over a year.   I have the router in my basement and the satellite in my first floor.   A few weeks ago I noticed the satellite had a solid magenta ring so I tried power cycling it, resync'ing it, and resetting it but nothing worked.   The unit would blink white then turn a solid blue for about 30 seconds then turn magenta.   Finally I reset the backhaul password and resync'd it and it appeared to have resolved the problem.

Yesterday the power went out in my house and when everything came up the magenta ring reappeared on the satettlite so I attempted everything I did previously to no avail.   What's odd is that although the unit displays a magenta ring, the items I have plugged into it via Ethernet appear to have internet access.   I can also ping the satetllite via IP from any of my PC's.

To troubleshoot the issue further I updated the firmware on my units to 2.5.1.16 (they were previously on 2.5.1.8).   I had to update them manually because when I selected  "Check for Updates" it said that it was up-to-date yet I found a newer one online.   I was unable to update the Satellite from the main admin page as it said it couldn't connect so I update the router then updated the satellite by logging into the web console directly on that unit (192.168.1.250) but still nothing worked.   I even tried leveraging an ethernet backhaul to see if that would allow me to see the satellite to do the update that way but again, no luck.   

The satellite appears in the Attached Devices with a Good Backhaul status and a valid IP but on the physical satellite unit itself, the magenta ring stays on.   Something else that I found odd is that when I log into the satellite's web interface I see that it has devices connecting to it and the graphic indicates its connected to the router but its offering its own SSID "ORBI21".

I've run out out troubleshooting options with the exception of resetting the router back to factory default and starting everything from scratch while I really want to avoid at all cost so any further suggestions would be appreciated so thanks in advance.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Solid Magenta Ring on RBS50 Satellite

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. Setup the RBS int he same room or near the RBR. Then place back in remote location. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Basement isn't a great place for RBRs. They should be on the main floor. Concrete and steel will inhibit wifi radio signal travel. 

@CoquiLostInNY wrote:

I have the Orbi RBR50 with one (1) satellite (RBS50) setup in my home and it was working perfectly for over a year.   I have the router in my basement and the satellite in my first floor.   A few weeks ago I noticed the satellite had a solid magenta ring so I tried power cycling it, resync'ing it, and resetting it but nothing worked.   The unit would blink white then turn a solid blue for about 30 seconds then turn magenta.   Finally I reset the backhaul password and resync'd it and it appeared to have resolved the problem.

Yesterday the power went out in my house and when everything came up the magenta ring reappeared on the satettlite so I attempted everything I did previously to no avail.   What's odd is that although the unit displays a magenta ring, the items I have plugged into it via Ethernet appear to have internet access.   I can also ping the satetllite via IP from any of my PC's.

To troubleshoot the issue further I updated the firmware on my units to 2.5.1.16 (they were previously on 2.5.1.8).   I had to update them manually because when I selected  "Check for Updates" it said that it was up-to-date yet I found a newer one online.   I was unable to update the Satellite from the main admin page as it said it couldn't connect so I update the router then updated the satellite by logging into the web console directly on that unit (192.168.1.250) but still nothing worked.   I even tried leveraging an ethernet backhaul to see if that would allow me to see the satellite to do the update that way but again, no luck.   

The satellite appears in the Attached Devices with a Good Backhaul status and a valid IP but on the physical satellite unit itself, the magenta ring stays on.   Something else that I found odd is that when I log into the satellite's web interface I see that it has devices connecting to it and the graphic indicates its connected to the router but its offering its own SSID "ORBI21".

I've run out out troubleshooting options with the exception of resetting the router back to factory default and starting everything from scratch while I really want to avoid at all cost so any further suggestions would be appreciated so thanks in advance.  

Message 2 of 6
CoquiLostInNY
Aspirant

Greetings,

I reset the Orbi router and satellite to factory as requested but sadly it did not resolve the issue.   While going through the setup wizard it finds the satellite and conifgures it however the satellite continues to have the magenta solid ring.   The one thing that is different now is that I am able to connect to the satellite via IP (192.168.1.250) with my updated password and now see that the unit is broadcasting my desired SSID.   Previously I had to use the generic password and has the satellite broadcasting the generic SSID (ORBI21).

Any other ideas I can try to get rid of the magenta solid ring?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

And you reset the RBS as well? 

What is the distance between the RBR and RBS? 

If the RBS is usuing the same PW as you have on the RBR, this is good, means the RBS is getting configuration from the RBR...

Odd that the led is PINK though...

Message 4 of 6
CoquiLostInNY
Aspirant

Hi,

The distance between the two (2) units is about 30 feet. I tried moving the satellite closer just for testing and same result. I see the satellite has wired and wireless connections to it so it’s so odd that it has the magenta solid ring.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if the RBS seems to be working otherwise, I guess keep using it. Might contact NG support about it and see if they can help with the light...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7