Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Solid Magenta daily drop out

Jimmah82
Aspirant

Solid Magenta daily drop out

Every morning I awake to find my Orbi router has disconnected with a solid magenta light. Unplugging/plugging back in or a reboot resolves the issue temporarily.

I'm on firmware V2.5.1.16. I have restored to factory settings, disabled beamforming & MIMO and it doesn't make any difference. The logs don't show anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Solid Magenta daily drop out

Can you please describe how the Orbi is connected to the internet?

Cable/Fiber?  Provider (Cox, Spectrum, etc...) and the brand and model number of ISP device?

Is there a definite pattern to the length of time between the restart and when the connection is lost?

Message 2 of 5
Jimmah82
Aspirant

The Orbi is connected to an NBN Arris CM8200 modem. I'm on a Telstra HFC plan (Australia).

The modem does not disconnect from the internet, only the Orbi drops out each day.

It's likely a 24 hour period between restart and a lost connection. I restart it each morning, it is fine during the day and early evening but has dropped out by the next morning.

Message 3 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

@Jimmah82 wrote:

The Orbi is connected to an NBN Arris CM8200 modem. I'm on a Telstra HFC plan (Australia).

The modem does not disconnect from the internet, only the Orbi drops out each day.

It's likely a 24 hour period between restart and a lost connection. I restart it each morning, it is fine during the day and early evening but has dropped out by the next morning.

The CN8200 is a straight ISP modem, so there should be no issues there. Do you have any sort of scheduling going on? Maybe a power issue? Have you rebooted the modem? If it is losing connection close to the same time every day, it is more of a setting than the Orbi itself. 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jimmah82 wrote:

It would be useful to know "when" the internet connection fails.  There are a number of "ping monitor" applications that will ping an external IP address at regular intervals and report when there is no response.  I use EMCO Pint Monitor Free (because it is free) and set it to check Google DNS (8.8.8.8).  Could check any IP address that responds to ping; I just happened to pick that one.

When the Orbi reboots and connects, the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab Home screen, click on the box "Connection Status" and it will show how long the Orbi IP lease is for and when it will expire.  If the connection drops exactly at the end of the DHCP lease, that would be useful information.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7