Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Solution for ORBI RBK50 constant disconnects

Davisro
Tutor

Solution for ORBI RBK50 constant disconnects

Hi. I thought I'd add a solution to a problem I've been having with my Costco ORBI RBR50 wireless router with two satellites. 

I see so many people complaining about this problem and Ive struggled with it for so long that I wanted to help any poor soul who is experienceing this problem and not getting help from the forums or Netgear support.

I've recently been experiencing constant but brief WIFI disconnects once every hour or so and was having difficulty staying connected to my work VPN

1. I'd had this problem two years ago when I first bought this Orbi. Back then I separated my 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios using the Telnet method here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/... and my ORBI was stable for two years. But recently a firmware update merged my 2.4 and 5.0 ghz signals back together on one ssid without me even realizing it. I thought this must be the reason i my signal was now unstable

2. Just to quantify the number and length of the disconnects, I installed the Internet Connection Monitor add-in on Google Chrome on my home PC and left it open while I was working on my work laptop. As soon as i'd get disconnected from my VPN at work, I'd check the Internet Connection Monitor logs on my home PC and could see that my wifi had been knocked offline for a few seconds.

3 I called my ISP and asked them to check my Xfinity Gateway to see if the problem was on their end. They told me their router looked good and showed no indication of going off line. They recommended I check my WIFI.

4. I measured the distance from my ORBI Base unit to my closest Satellite and found thay are 70 feet apart. I theorized that maybe the signal was not strong enough across that distance to be stable between them.

5. I tried many things. I took my second satellite from upstairs and put it between the router and my first satellite to have less distance between them. Still unstable. I disabled Daidy Chain, MIMO, and all the options people talk about in the forums. Still unstable.

6. After much panic and research, I was about to toss the Orbi, but i then started reading that other Mesh systems have the exact same problem. Then I saw this video on how to connect a wired backhaul between the Orbi Satellites and Router.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ln0-2NW-JU&ab_channel=Rick%27sTechTalkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch...

7. So i purchased a 75 foot patch cable from Monoprice for 20 bucks and this worked very nicely. My internet speeds at the Orbi satellite (where my work laptop is connected) doubled instantly, from 150mbps to 300mbps (which is the speed I pay for from my ISP). The signal is more stable as well. I'm really happy with this solution!!! Its so much better

NOTE: In the video he talks about adding a wired backhaul in AP Mode, but I did it in Router Mode. No problem.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad that worked. I would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Mark your thread as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 30

All Replies
Davisro
Tutor

next day...never mind. still experiencing disconnects. I was all excited. This is NOT a solution. It does improve signal strength but not stability

Message 2 of 30
wimmme
Tutor

I had this too, beginning to notice this since march when we had to work from home  all the time due to CoviD-19.

I had a Cisco VPN disconnect exactly every hour ! It was driving me nuts !!!

Since i am on firmware V2.5.2.4 and disabled DoS logging in the advanced options I don't have this anymore ! 

Message 3 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

@Davisro wrote:

Hi. I thought I'd add a solution to a problem I've been having with my Costco ORBI RBR50 wireless router with two satellites. 

I see so many people complaining about this problem and Ive struggled with it for so long that I wanted to help any poor soul who is experienceing this problem and not getting help from the forums or Netgear support.

I've recently been experiencing constant but brief WIFI disconnects once every hour or so and was having difficulty staying connected to my work VPN

1. I'd had this problem two years ago when I first bought this Orbi. Back then I separated my 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios using the Telnet method here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/... and my ORBI was stable for two years. But recently a firmware update merged my 2.4 and 5.0 ghz signals back together on one ssid without me even realizing it. I thought this must be the reason i my signal was now unstable

2. Just to quantify the number and length of the disconnects, I installed the Internet Connection Monitor add-in on Google Chrome on my home PC and left it open while I was working on my work laptop. As soon as i'd get disconnected from my VPN at work, I'd check the Internet Connection Monitor logs on my home PC and could see that my wifi had been knocked offline for a few seconds.

3 I called my ISP and asked them to check my Xfinity Gateway to see if the problem was on their end. They told me their router looked good and showed no indication of going off line. They recommended I check my WIFI.

4. I measured the distance from my ORBI Base unit to my closest Satellite and found thay are 70 feet apart. I theorized that maybe the signal was not strong enough across that distance to be stable between them.

5. I tried many things. I took my second satellite from upstairs and put it between the router and my first satellite to have less distance between them. Still unstable. I disabled Daidy Chain, MIMO, and all the options people talk about in the forums. Still unstable.

6. After much panic and research, I was about to toss the Orbi, but i then started reading that other Mesh systems have the exact same problem. Then I saw this video on how to connect a wired backhaul between the Orbi Satellites and Router.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ln0-2NW-JU&ab_channel=Rick%27sTechTalkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch...

7. So i purchased a 75 foot patch cable from Monoprice for 20 bucks and this worked very nicely. My internet speeds at the Orbi satellite (where my work laptop is connected) doubled instantly, from 150mbps to 300mbps (which is the speed I pay for from my ISP). The signal is more stable as well. I'm really happy with this solution!!! Its so much better

NOTE: In the video he talks about adding a wired backhaul in AP Mode, but I did it in Router Mode. No problem.

Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend either trying newer version of FW or reverting back to v16;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Be sure to factory reset the system and setup from scratch after the FW has been applied...

@wimmme wrote:

I had this too, beginning to notice this since march when we had to work from home  all the time due to CoviD-19.

I had a Cisco VPN disconnect exactly every hour ! It was driving me nuts !!!

Since i am on firmware V2.5.2.4 and disabled DoS logging in the advanced options I don't have this anymore ! 

Message 5 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Thanks for responding Furry

Firmware: 2.5.2.4

Did a factory reset yesterday

Comcast Xfinity Xfi Gateway TG3482ER3 in Bridge Mode

Orbi is in Router mode.

**just so you know...I ran my 75 ft patch cable between my work laptop directly into the ORBI base unit instead of wired into the satellite. No change. Signal still drops

-Home is 3500 Sq Ft. The cable from Comcast is coming into a back room on fl1. I have Orbi router there. Satellite 1 is 70 ft and four rooms away. I have wifi neighbors but live in free standing home. I see one or two networks in range

"Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes."

-Armor is disabled

-Circle I use, and pay for, but after the factory rese yesterday its not activated

-Daisy Chain is enabled. Ive had daisy chain on and off. doesnt seem to matter

-Fast Roaming is disabled

-IPV6 is disabled

-20/40 coexistence only allows Enable or Disable. There's no ability to choose 20 or 40. I have it disabled

-2.4 is on Auto. switching to 1

-MIMO is disabled...enabling

-Preamble was on Auto. Changing to Short

Message 6 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update? If this still fails , factory reset and setup from scratch.

ALso there is newer FW just out which you can try:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Not sure if this would be helpful or not. If nothing seems to fix your problem, I would revert back to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

@Davisro wrote:

Thanks for responding Furry

Firmware: 2.5.2.4

Did a factory reset yesterday

Comcast Xfinity Xfi Gateway TG3482ER3 in Bridge Mode

Orbi is in Router mode.

**just so you know...I ran my 75 ft patch cable between my work laptop directly into the ORBI base unit instead of wired into the satellite. No change. Signal still drops

-Home is 3500 Sq Ft. The cable from Comcast is coming into a back room on fl1. I have Orbi router there. Satellite 1 is 70 ft and four rooms away. I have wifi neighbors but live in free standing home. I see one or two networks in range

"Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes."

-Armor is disabled

-Circle I use, and pay for, but after the factory rese yesterday its not activated

-Daisy Chain is enabled. Ive had daisy chain on and off. doesnt seem to matter

-Fast Roaming is disabled

-IPV6 is disabled

-20/40 coexistence only allows Enable or Disable. There's no ability to choose 20 or 40. I have it disabled

-2.4 is on Auto. switching to 1

-MIMO is disabled...enabling

-Preamble was on Auto. Changing to Short

Message 7 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Well so far so good!!

Changes made

-2.4 was on Auto. switched to 1

-MIMO was disabled...enabling

-Preamble was on Auto. Changed to Short

Not sure which of these did it but its been 5 hours and i havent been kicked, or seen any drop-offs. I'm using the Google Chrome Internet Connection Monitor add-in to keep a log of any WIFI interruptions

Thank you Furrye38 so much!!

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad that worked. I would do a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Mark your thread as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Thanks again. No more dropoffs and the wired backhaul has made my satellites blazing fast and strong signal

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 30
wimmme
Tutor

All well, but a wired backhaul is NOT the intention of a Mesh network which the Orbi claims to be.

Then there are cheaper and better working alternatives available.

It's ok as a backup solution where a wireless backhaul is not possbilbe or working well

Message 12 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend either trying newer version of FW or reverting back to v16;

Be sure to factory reset the system and setup from scratch after the FW has been applied...

Wired backhaul is most certainly apart of a MESH system, for users that have wired installation support. 

@wimmme wrote:

All well, but a wired backhaul is NOT the intention of a Mesh network which the Orbi claims to be.

It's ok as a backup solution where a wireless backhaul is not possbilbe or working well

Message 13 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

"All well, but a wired backhaul is NOT the intention of a Mesh network which the Orbi claims to be.

It's ok as a backup solution where a wireless backhaul is not possbilbe or working well"

Like what kind of cheaper and better working alternative?

Message 14 of 30
wimmme
Tutor

Something with cables and access points (Ubiquiti, Mikrotik or even Netgear)

I do still miss a lot of features i had on my old WNDR3700 running DD-WRT.

I like the orbi but the price for an RBR50, 2x RBS50 and an RBS50Y is not cheap.

For that pricetag i would expect stabler firmwares you can just installe without having to downgrade or setup from scratch so often.

Message 15 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Furre38: do you think there could be issues with the ORBI router sitting next to other elctrical devices such as a bluetooth phone hand set or a Sonos speaker? I have limited table space where these devices are and they are close together. Or maybe intrusion from electrical signals where ethernet and power wires are near each other or are side by side?

Message 16 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Never a good idea to have electronics sitting in close proximity to other electronics. 

Forum User - "Well I feel really dumb. After moving the router away from other electronic devices my speeds are back to normal. Just a heads up for anyone experiencing slow speeds, you might want to move it away from other electronics and see if that helps."
3-6' feet minimum safe distance between devices.

Message 17 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Do you think that the disconnect/instability issue could be resolved by running the ORBI in AP mode and bypassing the router?

Message 18 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a host router up stream from the RBR, then yes you can. I do. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

@FURRYe38
1. If I run my ORBI in AP mode i wont be able to use the ethernet ports on the satellite anmore (exept for the wired backhaul), correct?

2. Also, I've been running WIFI analyzer and I see a hidden network that is as strong as my own ORBI signal and if I change channels it follws my ORBI signal to the other channel! (see attached screenshot). Does ORBI produce hidden networks? I have my guest network off

3. Also, I’ve discovered that xFinity Comcast modems broadcast a hidden network for their hotspot network that you can opt out of, which I just did. See “https” and “://www.” And xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot
Could this hidden signal be interfering with the ORBI?

thanks

Message 20 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

@Davisro wrote:

@FURRYe38
1. If I run my ORBI in AP mode i wont be able to use the ethernet ports on the satellite anmore (exept for the wired backhaul), correct? Incorrect. 

2. Also, I've been running WIFI analyzer and I see a hidden network that is as strong as my own ORBI signal and if I change channels it follws my ORBI signal to the other channel! (see attached screenshot). Does ORBI produce hidden networks? I have my guest network off

Orbi will always have the hidden signal. Thanks the wireless backhaul. Even if you wire connect RBS, this hidden signal will always be there incase of a wired connection failure, the RBS have someting to fall back on.

3. Also, I’ve discovered that xFinity Comcast modems broadcast a hidden network for their hotspot network that you can opt out of, which I just did. See “https” and “://www.” And xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot
Could this hidden signal be interfering with the ORBI? Anything is possible. 

Message 21 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

@FURRYe38  "If I run my ORBI in AP mode i wont be able to use the ethernet ports on the satellite anmore (exept for the wired backhaul), correct? Incorrect."

I don't understand. In AP mode the ORBI router is disabled, so are you saying that in AP mode, the four ethernet ports on the satellite act as a switch? And then the signals would travel through the wired backhaul back to the router in the xFinity gateway? That would be cool.

Message 22 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

@Davisro wrote:

@FURRYe38  "If I run my ORBI in AP mode i wont be able to use the ethernet ports on the satellite anmore (exept for the wired backhaul), correct? Incorrect."

I don't understand. In AP mode the ORBI router is disabled, so are you saying that in AP mode, the four ethernet ports on the satellite act as a switch? And then the signals would travel through the wired backhaul back to the router in the xFinity gateway? Yes.

That would be cool. 

Message 23 of 30
Davisro
Tutor

Ok,thanks

Message 24 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 30