Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some Devices Can't Get Internet Though Connected to Wi-Fi

tiztrain
Aspirant

Some Devices Can't Get Internet Though Connected to Wi-Fi

Hi,

So all of myy devices connect to the Orbi RBK50 fine. My partners Surface Pro 3 and Google Pixel 2 connect to the Wi-Fi but can't get any internet.

On Chrome she would get the error:

dns probe finished bad config

So I found the following site and completed step 1 and 2:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-bad-config-error/ 

Why do some devices need the DNS Server settings changed? This has to be a bug right?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
tiztrain
Aspirant

Re: Some Devices Can't Get Internet Though Connected to Wi-Fi

Actually the best way to adjust your DNS settings is to adjust the settings in your router so you only have to do it for one device.

This is what I used in my settings:

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.4 

2019-01-15 19_20_25-NETGEAR Router Orbi.png

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 18

All Replies
tiztrain
Aspirant

Actually the best way to adjust your DNS settings is to adjust the settings in your router so you only have to do it for one device.

This is what I used in my settings:

Primary DNS: 8.8.8.8

Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.4 

2019-01-15 19_20_25-NETGEAR Router Orbi.png

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Could be a number of reasons and no, not a bug. I would start with ISP services and device first. Modem router combos can cause problems. If the modem is just a modem only, then DNS won't be a problem.

You can configure DNS on the Orbi router to use other DNS services besides ISP DNS. I use 1.1.1.1, 4.2.2.4 and Quad 9.

Also could be ISP services are not working well. 

@tiztrain wrote:

Hi,

So all of myy devices connect to the Orbi RBK50 fine. My partners Surface Pro 3 and Google Pixel 2 connect to the Wi-Fi but can't get any internet.

On Chrome she would get the error:

dns probe finished bad config

So I found the following site and completed step 1 and 2:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-dns-probe-finished-bad-config-error/ 

Why do some devices need the DNS Server settings changed? This has to be a bug right?

Message 3 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@tiztrain wrote:

Doesn't sound right, indeed. Depends on the several possible issues they might have carried forward from the other routers to the Orbi e.g. the RBK50...

Some claim the problem is with ISP DNS not able to reply fast enough, ... https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Fatal-Flaw-in-NETGEAR-Routers-Read-Before-Bu...

Message 4 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think it would be also interesting to know what their DNS entries were....and what you decided to use.  It doesnt make a lot of sense for different devices in a single network to be using a multitude of DNS IPs unique to individual machines... 

Were those other devices ever used for a business that had VPNs installed on them?  or were they purley recreational/personal devices that never had a secure configuration?

Personally,  I would prefer to have my Orbi router handle all definitions of DNSs and have all connected devices defer to the router.  That is one of the benefits of having a router is!  To standardize network operations.  Doing anything else adds a level of unnecessary complexity (unless specific devices have to access a corporate vpn)

Every ISP has their default DNS servers.  @FURRYe38 mentioned a few standard DNS services out there previously.  I use three in this order within my Orbi Router:

1. 8.8.8.8  (google #1)
  2. 8.8.4.4  (Google #2)
  3. My ISP's primary DNS

And then on all devices not needing VPN access, I just use DHCP and the router provided DNS

Message 5 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

Here is a pretty good article on DNS's....  It has a section on Malware which may be part of your friend's issue:

https://www.howtogeek.com/122845/htg-explains-what-is-dns/

Message 6 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

I made sure I updated to the latest released FW. I also downloaded it manually and installed the firmware in case there was an issue with the automatic update.

By Mfr do you mean manufacturer? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

All the devices were only used for personal use. Realised last night that this was also the reason why my TP Link Kasa smart light could not be connected Google Home because every time I was trying to turn on remote access for the light, it came up with an error.

My other roommates also confirmed that they had been having issues with the internet too so it was very wide spread.

I was on the latest firmware but I will chase up the information about the modem.

Message 8 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

Did you adjust the DNS servers?  Your answer isnt clear if you changed anything or if the problem is solved.

Message 9 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

Hey Chuck,

It was in my second post. I just entered manual DNS servers into the Orbi router.

I Used:

Message 10 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

The Orbi is connected to a Telstra Gateway Max C63008D-1TLAUS.

I am using it in bridge mode and have turned the WiFi off on it.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you sure it's in bridge mode? How was the modem configured for bridge mode? 

This is a gateway modem and thus it has a built in router. 

Similar to this one? https://www.netgear.com/support/product/C6300.aspx

One thing you can try, configure the modem back to gateway/router mode. Then configure the Orbi for AP mode. Do device get internet in this configuration? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

@tiztrain wrote:

The Orbi is connected to a Telstra Gateway Max C63008D-1TLAUS.

I am using it in bridge mode and have turned the WiFi off on it.

Message 12 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

I would double check all clients to make sure they are getting IPs and DNS from the router and not being force fed them through a hard setting in their properties.

Message 13 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

Definitely was put in bridge mode as i can't access the modern/router anymore unless i do a proper reset. I configured the modem to bridge mode originally. Turned off the WiFi as well.

Ok i could do that now Furry but is there a reason why i should now if it works fine? And why would i run in AP mode?

Message 14 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

I only hard set one and realised it worked so i hard set those DNS settings through the router
Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, making sure the ISP modem was in the correct configuration is is.

Would be a troubleshooting step to see where the failure would be located is all. Either, modem, Orbi or device. 

So did you get the "Some" devices too all connect now that you input DNS values on the Orbi? Everything workking now? 

@tiztrain wrote:
I only hard set one and realised it worked so i hard set those DNS settings through the router

Message 16 of 18
tiztrain
Aspirant

Yep every device works now and including all my roommates and partners.
Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Glad it's working better. Mark this thread as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@tiztrain wrote:
Yep every device works now and including all my roommates and partners.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7