Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some Positive Feedback and (Cry for) Help

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Some Positive Feedback and (Cry for) Help

The whole story starts with:
@DarrenM:
"Is the satellite on the same firmware? you may want to factory reset the satellite and resync it."

And then,
@DarrenM Mentions the backhaul is separate so the two situations are different/separate. Again, that is fine but we need some clarification: what the satellite's GUI displays versus what is happening behind the scenes; which I don't - and you shouldn't - particularly care about if the system is working as described.

My point is: I think a good FAQ would be helpful.

I will add that mine had been rock solid until today (3+ weeks) until I (ill)decided to make a seemingly small change and make one, single device have a dedicated IP (via Advanced->Setup-LAN Setup->Address Reservation) and everything went downhill from there. Router went into "reset" (really for a name and MAC change?), Satelites stopped responding...the interminable list of the things you must see on this board happened.

What I learned:
- Don't over think it. RESET, try it "out of the box". The platform is great - signal great, signal coordination great (satellite->router->INET) when "somewhat vanilla".
- If you want to make a change - I have no idea of the sync workflow but - turn OFF your satellites first! Given the primary source of record is the router and it reboots (and takes an inordinate amount of time) I can see the collapse in the workflow - meaning bug in the software/firmware - when trying to coordinate that among the satellites. The worst part is you are locked out of any sort of status while all of them are attempting to coordinate.

My advice for making changes when everything is "all up": WAIT
The process it horribly long and you have will have zero indication of success (until you simply turn off your satellites after 15 minutes and let them do their 3+ -hopefully- minute sync).

On the "GUI", again maybe the satellites say they are talking to the router, maybe it is the connected devises...point is no one knows, so the forum gets flooded with questions that DEV/Engineering should already have in their release notes... Tell folks "A means 'this'" and 50% of the forums questions are answered. Don't let the community tell you how your platform works (GUI, information, etc.) it only means you have too few resources, bad test-harness or are not sure...

Takeaway: "it works", but create an FAQ...deal with the real issues of folks complaining when you do that whole v2 HW dance.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Some Positive Feedback and (Cry for) Help

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7