Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Some devices connecting automatically to new SSID without requiring password

JoeRo
Aspirant

Some devices connecting automatically to new SSID without requiring password

Just set up the Orbi system with 1 satellite, and working fine so far - but only a few hours in.

My concern is that some of my wireless devices connected to the new SSID automatically, and did not require that I enter the password.  Other devices, however, did require the password to join the new wireless network.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?  The Orbi is set up as an AP, not router, and security is set as WPA2-AES.

Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DukeSilver
Star

Re: Some devices connecting automatically to new SSID without requiring password

I assume the Orbi is not reusing an SSID & password that you have used on whatever AP the Orbi is replacing?  

If not, are the automatically connecting devices Apple devices?  Apple devices under same iCloud Account will automatically synchronize SSID authentication very quickly to enable all devices to access the same wifi networks.

If none of the above then it must be Russian hackers.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

i would prob suggest that in the past you have used this ssid name and password before and those devices have remembered the credentials and are just connecting useing those remembered credentials

Message 2 of 4
DukeSilver
Star

I assume the Orbi is not reusing an SSID & password that you have used on whatever AP the Orbi is replacing?  

If not, are the automatically connecting devices Apple devices?  Apple devices under same iCloud Account will automatically synchronize SSID authentication very quickly to enable all devices to access the same wifi networks.

If none of the above then it must be Russian hackers.

Message 3 of 4
JoeRo
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick response and help!

It was a new SSID / password, but these are Apple devices.  Two different iCloud accounts, but in each case it was the 2nd device on each iCloud account that logged in automatically.  Didn't realize that iClould did that - it's been too long since I've upgraded my wireless, so that's a new Apple feature I wasn't aware of.

Happy that I won't need to watch out for foreign accents.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7