Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Some devices not reconnecting after connection dropout

Twilight_Racer
Aspirant

Some devices not reconnecting after connection dropout

UK Broadband – BT Infinity 2

Router – Orbi RBK50

Modem – Draytek Vigor 130

All hardware is on the latest firmware.

Looking for some help as I’ve run out of ability to resolve this problem.  At random points, although largely in the dead of night the Orbi logs will record “Internet Disconnected” and between 30s and a few minutes later “Internet Connected”.  Most hardware catches up and we’re all good to go relatively quickly.  All apart from two devices, my house alarm and smart heating controls.  Although they maintain an IP address they are unresponsive over the network, their respective Apps just show them as offline/disconnected.  The only remedy is a reboot of the Orbi which every day is not an option for me.  The issue isn’t as regular as clockwork, but it does tend to happen in the early hours of the morning, however yesterday it occurred at 17:00.

Initially I thought it was the Orbi playing up but have caught the DSL light on the modem blinking (disconnected) on a couple of occassions during this issue so it is possible the modem starts the problem.  The modem is setup on PPPoe with its DHCP server disabled on the current BT approved firmware.  The Orbi is in router mode with the BT login credentials and set to “always on”.

Interestingly the house alarm connects over wireless but the smart heating is physically connected over ethernet so this isn’t limited to a Wi-Fi problem.  The only thing I can think of is a conflict on IP addresses but the Orbi logs show the devices in the list of DHCP allocated IP’s.  It’s a real head scratcher so hoping someone knows a way out of it.  Many thanks in advance. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Some devices not reconnecting after connection dropout

What happens if you set the ISP modem back to handle PPPoE and DHCP and configure the RBR for AP mode? 

What FW version is currently loaded on the Orbi system? 

Message 2 of 6
Twilight_Racer
Aspirant

Thanks.  The Draytek Modem (which is Third Party but approved by ISP) is only a Modem so I'm not sure that would work?

I did connect my Orbi to an old Nighhawk D7000 Router/Modem which has been strong for the last 7 years I've had it.  Orbi as AP and Nighthawk full modem/router and all worked fine.  The Nighthawk is long in the tooth now though so I'd rather swap it out with the deciated modem and Orbi in router mode.  If I fail to fix the issue it may be my only option.  Do you believe it to be DHCP related?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, Then you can set PPPoE back on the modem then set the RBR for Router mode. The RBR will use DHCP instead of PPPoE to connect to the modem and the ISP services. 

Message 4 of 6
Twilight_Racer
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, Then you can set PPPoE back on the modem then set the RBR for Router mode. The RBR will use DHCP instead of PPPoE to connect to the modem and the ISP services. 

Again, many thanks for the response.  So, set the modem up with DHCP server enabled and connection shown, all green.  

Changed Orbi to not need a PPPoE login and it shows connection as DHCP on the internet port with an active connection but the Orbi fails to get to the internet.  It appears it requires the ISP login details to connect even though the modem is connected and successful which then reinvokes PPPoE on Orbi.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR, press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. 

Power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back on. 
Wire connect a PC or laptop to the back of the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard with a web borwser here. 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.net. 

Check to see if the setup wizard reports any problems getting connected to the modem and services. 

Be sure the RBR is connected to the modem using the Yellow WAN port in back of the RBR. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7