Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sony PS4 can’t connect to internet

ThomasGeb
Aspirant

Sony PS4 can’t connect to internet

I cannot get my sons PS4 to connect to the internet.  I am running Orbi RBR50 (v.2.7.3.22) with 2 satellites - RBW30 (2.6.2.6) and RBS50(v.2.7.3.22).  I am running my entire house on Orbi- with 30 devices at any one time ( multiple laptops, smart home, etc),with internet speeds in the 150-225 almost everywhere in the house.  I have done all of the firmware updates, I have done port forwarding for PlayStation network on the att modem and the Orbi routers.  I have disabled Circle.  

the PlayStation is actually on the network, and can be seen from both Orbi pplications and the PS itself. It just can't connect to the internet. Getting different errors that have been worked through withSony support..  PS4 is fine, has all updates and can get to the internet via cell phone and other networks.

thanks, ready to toss Orbi into the sea.  
TG

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Sony PS4 can’t connect to internet

what modem/gateway do you have? 

Its ONLY the playstation with issues?

Is it hardwired in or connecting wireless?

Message 2 of 7
ThomasGeb
Aspirant

Fiber is coming through arris BGW 210 modem.  The Sony PS4 is the only device in house with issues connecting.  Using wireless to connect.  Thanks 

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

(Sorry to display ignorance, but I have no Playstation.)

By "cannot connect to the internet" does this mean:

• Attempting to play internet games results in an error message? (which one)
  • Cannot do anything at all regarding the internet. Cannot 'ping' an internet IP. Cannot connect to a web site. Nothing at all.

If gaming is the issue, then.....

The ATT BGW210 is a complete "modem/router/WiFi" combination. With the Orbi in router mode, this creates a classic "Double NAT" situation.  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT Internet gaming is one of the applications that is affected by a Double NAT.

There are four ways to address a Double NAT:

• Put the ISP device into "modem only"  or "bridge" mode.  I suspect this may be difficult with ATT service.
  • Put the Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode and use the BGW210 to perform all routing functions, including assigning IP with DHCP, assigning fixed IP's to devices, selecting DNS providers, Parental Controls, etc. etc.  Depending on how much you have done to customize the Orbi, this might involve a lot of work because the IP subnet used by the BGW210 is likely to be different from that used by the Orbi and this could lead to substantial rework.
  • Put the Orbi into the BGW210's DMZ.
  • Forward ports through both the BGW210 and the Orbi.  This would mean that TCP and UDP ports 1935,3074,3478-3480 would be forwarded on the BGW210 to the IP address the BGW210 has assigned to the Orbi. Then the same ports would be forwarded on the Orbi to the PS4.  For a single device, this is not a big deal. With more devices, it would become tedious very quickly.

If the PS4 cannot do anything on the Internet, could it be paused (by accident)?

Message 4 of 7
ThomasGeb
Aspirant

I can't connect to the internet to do anything, even updating games.  It's more fundamental than gaming.  When I am attempting to connect, I can get an IP address through normal setup but can't connect to the internet.  I get DNS errors and time out errors.  I have done manual setup on the PS4 to drive public DNS.

With regard to the double net.  I have the ATT modem WiFi  shut down. I only have 1 network running.  I turn it on and off to trouble shoot the PlayStation.  

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

Turning off the wifi doesn't disable the routing features. Try the methods of actually fixing a double Nat
Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ThomasGeb wrote:

I can't connect to the internet to do anything, even updating games.  It's more fundamental than gaming.  When I am attempting to connect, I can get an IP address through normal setup but can't connect to the internet.  I get DNS errors and time out errors.

You probably have already tried the Playstation troubleshooting guides, such as this one:

https://connection.support.playstation.com/en_US#!/ 

As an additional diagnosis tool, it may be worth temporarily turning the ATT WiFi back on (with a different SSID than the Orbi) and connecting the PS4 to the ATT WiFi.

• If the PS4 connects immediately and "all is good", then the issue would seem to be with the Orbi-PS4 connection.
  • If there is no change (also fails), then the issue would seem to be with the PS4.

I notice that one of the first recommended steps when setting up a PlayStation is to give it a fixed IP address.  There are two ways to do this:

• Enter the WiFi MAC address into the Orbi Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup table so that the Orbi always gives the PS4 the same IP address. This is the choice most Orbi users pick because it facilitates making changes without having to log into every device and go through the Static IP process on all of them.
  • Enter a Static IP in the PS4 network setup.  It is important that this Static IP fall within the Orbi's IP subnet which is conveniently displayed on that LAN Setup page.
    My Orbi, for example has chosen the private IP space 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
    This means that any device with an IP address that begins with 192.168.1, has the same subnet mask, and has a gateway address of 192.168.1.1 will be able to reach the internet.

@plemans is correct that turning off the ATT WiFi does not affect the ATT router functions.  At some point there may be a need to think about the Double NAT issue, but the primary issue is more basic.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7