Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Spanning Tree problem with Orbi RBR50

mdsteele47
Aspirant

We appear to be experiencing a very similar problem with a Philips 272P7VU monitor that has a USB-C hub with an Ethernet jack.  Can't quite isolate what the behavior is with the monitor that is causing the dropouts, but it is similarly killing every wired connection in on the RBR50 (which has a network switch attached to it).  

Has anyone found a fix for this within the Orbi?  I appreciated the link explaining the Ethernet Pause Frame but that didn't seem to point to a fix.

Message 26 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@mdsteele47 wrote:

... Philips 272P7VU monitor that has a USB-C hub with an Ethernet jack.  ... with the monitor that is causing the dropouts, but it is similarly killing every wired connection in on the RBR50 (which has a network switch attached to it).

For the moment there is no other option but disconnecting these hubs in direct connection with the network switches (e.g. the built-in on Orbi). The problem is that the Ethernet Pause Frame is intended to remain on the singe physical link (e.g. Orbi <-> Switch, Switch <-> Computer) only. Why ever, Ethernet Pause Frame is by error (switch chip embedded firmware) forwarded to other physical link where it can will stop that next port(s).

@mdsteele47 wrote:

Has anyone found a fix for this within the Orbi?

Nothing we can do from the user side for now - except to wait for an Orbi firmware update which does include and updated switch firmware  (hopefully loadable by the host) and/or direct "host" ports are handling the Ethernet Pause Frame appropriately.

Message 27 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to let NG support know what your experiencing. The more information you give them the more apt they will take a look at hopefully fix this for you. 

Also, try the use of a external Gb switch in the mix as well. Non managed and non green ethernet is recommended.

@mdsteele47 wrote:

We appear to be experiencing a very similar problem with a Philips 272P7VU monitor that has a USB-C hub with an Ethernet jack.  Can't quite isolate what the behavior is with the monitor that is causing the dropouts, but it is similarly killing every wired connection in on the RBR50 (which has a network switch attached to it).  

Has anyone found a fix for this within the Orbi?  I appreciated the link explaining the Ethernet Pause Frame but that didn't seem to point to a fix.

Message 28 of 36
mdsteele47
Aspirant

I'm already using a non-managed, non-green switch as a part of the setup.  The problem persists with that switch.

Dumb question... is there a way to send this feedback to NG?  My 90-day support window with them is long past up and I can't seem to identify a way to just send them this information otherwise.

Message 29 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model # of this switch your using? 

Send feed back to forum  moderators if you don't have access to official support channels here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@mdsteele47 wrote:

I'm already using a non-managed, non-green switch as a part of the setup.  The problem persists with that switch.

Dumb question... is there a way to send this feedback to NG?  My 90-day support window with them is long past up and I can't seem to identify a way to just send them this information otherwise.

Message 30 of 36
mdsteele47
Aspirant

Current switch is a Tenga TEG1008D.  I originally had the TPLink TL-SG108 with the same results.

Message 31 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

And if you remove these switches and direct connect the RBS, do you see any continued problems? 

Message 32 of 36
mdsteele47
Aspirant

Yes.  (You and I have discussed this in this thread.)

Message 33 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I remember now. This was seen when you used that offending device with Orbi huh... Smiley Frustrated

Message 34 of 36
RyanSpohn
Aspirant

Piling on here. I am experiencing the same issue with different Orbi hardware and USB hub. I have an Orbi CBR40, and have two different USB hubs with gigabit ethernet ports (OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, and VAVA USB C Hub). When I have an ethernet cable plugged into either or both of the hubs, I experience the same issue described here. After 15 mins or so, every device on the wired network looses connection, yet the wifi network is unaffected. Restarting the Orbi fixes the issue temporarily only. When I remove the USB hubs from the equation there is no problem with the wired network. This is incredibly frustrating. The behavior described by @pbarham and also in the Pause Frame article match my experience.

I am running the latest firmware for the device V2.5.0.14_1.0.8. No previous firmware updates have improved or fixed this behavior.

Is there any update on a coming fix from Netgear to address this, or has anyone found a workaround?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 35 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the Mfr of these USB hubs about. If these are the only devices that don't work with Orbi, then you'll need to find help and information from the Mfr of these devices or find something that works. I have used small USBC to Ethernet adapters and these work for Orbi. Hubs seems to be a different animal and cause problems for Orbi systems.

@RyanSpohn wrote:

Piling on here. I am experiencing the same issue with different Orbi hardware and USB hub. I have an Orbi CBR40, and have two different USB hubs with gigabit ethernet ports (OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock, and VAVA USB C Hub). When I have an ethernet cable plugged into either or both of the hubs, I experience the same issue described here. After 15 mins or so, every device on the wired network looses connection, yet the wifi network is unaffected. Restarting the Orbi fixes the issue temporarily only. When I remove the USB hubs from the equation there is no problem with the wired network. This is incredibly frustrating. The behavior described by @pbarham and also in the Pause Frame article match my experience.

I am running the latest firmware for the device V2.5.0.14_1.0.8. No previous firmware updates have improved or fixed this behavior.

Is there any update on a coming fix from Netgear to address this, or has anyone found a workaround?

Message 36 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7