Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Specify the device to connect to

folletto
Aspirant

Specify the device to connect to

Hi there,

My setup is router (ethernet) sat1 (wireless) sat2. All devices are on the latest firmware (V2.1.4.16). The router is on the lower floor, the two satellites are on the upper floor.

The WIFI connection between the two floors is pretty bad, devices often loose connection. Nevertheless, some of my devices and even the sat2 connect to the router. This leads to poor performance on the wireless backhaul and many interruptions when using my Sonos Play:1, which is also located on the upper floor.

When sat2 is connected to sat1 the backhaul performance is twice as good (windows file transfer speed) and when the devices are connected to sat1/2 there are no interruptions.

Is there a way to "fix" a client device or the Orbi satellite to a specific Orbi device? Or do you have any other idea?

Thanks and cheers,

Markus

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
Cmo1
Apprentice

Re: Specify the device to connect to

As far as I can tell, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the satellites appear to simply be dummy devices. The only thing you can do with them is see what bands they are using and what devices are connected to them, but can't change anything. This also is something Netgear could easily fix by allowing us the option to choose what devices connect to what band and id. However, every time one of us raises one of these concerns, I don't ever see any Netgear folks chiming in as to why it isn't permitted or if and when it might be allowed or fixed. At this point, in the absence of any dedicated beta forum or a Netgear engineer who regularly monitors these forums it seems we have to rely on each other to fix and test a device we paid huge amounts of money for. It's completely unacceptable. If my company was run that way, we'd be out of business.
Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the router and satellite(s)? Starting should be about 30 feet in between depending upon building materials.

Whats the Sq Ft of your home? 

Building materials the home is comprised of? 

@folletto wrote:

Hi there,

My setup is router (ethernet) sat1 (wireless) sat2. All devices are on the latest firmware (V2.1.4.16). The router is on the lower floor, the two satellites are on the upper floor.

The WIFI connection between the two floors is pretty bad, devices often loose connection. Nevertheless, some of my devices and even the sat2 connect to the router. This leads to poor performance on the wireless backhaul and many interruptions when using my Sonos Play:1, which is also located on the upper floor.

When sat2 is connected to sat1 the backhaul performance is twice as good (windows file transfer speed) and when the devices are connected to sat1/2 there are no interruptions.

Is there a way to "fix" a client device or the Orbi satellite to a specific Orbi device? Or do you have any other idea?

Thanks and cheers,

Markus

Message 3 of 8
folletto
Aspirant

I should start on a drawing 😉

(upper floor, 900sqft) sat1  < 20 feet > sat2 (mostly dry wall inbetween)

concrete floor

(lower floor, 400sqft) router (about 13 feet away from sat1 + sat2)

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Starting should be about 30 feet in between depending upon building materials. Your satellites are too close to the router. 

Your kind of sq ft, try using only the router centrally placed, it can cover up to about 30 feet radius. Then maybe add 1 satellite. 

I would disable Daisy Chain and MIMO on the router as well...

Set manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Message 5 of 8
folletto
Aspirant

Oh, I did not expect there is a "too close", I'll try to increase the space in-between the devices.

Unfortunately, I need all of my devices.

The router is close to my internet connection and the ethernet connection to the upper floor, sat1 is at the end of that ethernet connection, sat2 is where all my "entertainment" and my file server is and I need the build in copper ports ...

Just having a single WiFi AP would not work either, devices on the other floor will have connection issues (tested with the Orbi Router and another WiFi Router).

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Starting should be about 30 feet in between

Message 7 of 8
mith_it
Luminary

Hi, have you tried just keeping one satellite connected to the ethernet on the top floor?

With 900sqft you shouldn't have a coverage problem
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7