Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spectrum Cable App Freezes on Roku - Orbi RBK30

Frankpa
Aspirant

Spectrum Cable App Freezes on Roku - Orbi RBK30

I’ve been using a Netgear Orbi RBK30 router with a Roku device in order to stream the Spectrum Cable TV app on my TV since April 2019. As of a couple weeks ago, the app will just run for about 5 seconds and then freeze up. I had previously installed and run the Armor trial but did not subscribe. I’ve seen other issues on this forum and it seems to be a common problem and I am seeing a lot of Orbi being dumped on eBay. I read the instructions for disabling Armor that I read in this forum but there is no way to actually toggle it off. Has anyone found a solution? Is Netgear going to do anything about it?
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Spectrum Cable App Freezes on Roku - Orbi RBK30

Yes, there is quite a discussion going on about the Spectrum App for Roku.  There are rumors that a revised app will be released, but no confirmation.

As far as Armor is concerned, I believe it is possible to disable Armor using the Orbi "app" on iOS or Android.  (Alas, the web interface does not provide a method to disable it.)  Another solution is to Factory Reset the Orbi and during the configuration decline Armor.  (ugh.  I would try the app first.)

I would also read through the thread on this forum.https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Firmware-issue/m-p/1855136 

Message 2 of 9
Frankpa
Aspirant

I am using the IOS app.  When you tap settings and then security, all it does is bring to you a webpage to purchase Armor.  There is no way to turn it off in the app.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Sorry I have not been much help.  I have never activated Armor myself, nor do I use a "Spectrum App". (I may keep my Tivo until they pry it from my cold, dead hands.)

My sense is that you may get more information from the Spectrum user forums, for example:

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Spectrum-TV-for-Roku-Devices/Spectrum-app-freezes-on-Roku/td-p... 

The first dozen posts I read did not mention Netgear Orbi.  (I did see one "Asus", but I quit after two pages.)

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to do a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. This time, do not enable Armor. 

@Frankpa wrote:

I am using the IOS app.  When you tap settings and then security, all it does is bring to you a webpage to purchase Armor.  There is no way to turn it off in the app.

Message 5 of 9
Frankpa
Aspirant

So I did the factory reset on this and gave it a new name and password just to be sure nothing would carry over...and it is working.  It's day 1 but it is working so far.  Thanks to all the smart geeks out here!

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Getting other posts in regards to this Spectrum app working after Armor is disaled. 

I persume Armor is being a bit over barring on some apps. Something to post about in the Armor forum to see if there is something the Armor folk can do for that app. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 8 of 9
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Frankpa

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7