Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed expections over 5g with a 700 mbit pipe

realien
Tutor

Speed expections over 5g with a 700 mbit pipe

What speed expecations should I have from the main RBK50 to a mac over 5g ?

Testing directly with the Orbi / Advanced / Speed test I see 761 MBps from the Comcast X1 modem using a CAT5e cable

When testing over speedtest from my mac  over wifi I see 200Mbs - 300Mbps over 5ghz depending on its mood.

I'm about 15 feet from the RBK50. with no walls or obstructions.  

I would have hoped to see 400mbits + pretty consistently but I've never seen it.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Speed expections over 5g with a 700 mbit pipe

Depending on the design of the mac and what it supports. Most speeds you'll ever see on 5Ghz AC is around 300-500max. Depending on HW support and it's design. 

Here what I get with my Mac Book Pro 2018 sitting in my living room several feet away from the RBS or RBR: v16

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 1.19.08 PM.png

Message 2 of 9
realien
Tutor

interesting as the mac is supposed to be capable of 800mbs on 5g.  

wfi scanner, shows a Signal of -63db, -77dbm noise, SNR14 and data rate of 866, TX of 65.

I'm going to have to go google of those signal levels and noise levels are good.  I believe 63dbmsignal and over 70dbm noise is good.

Message 3 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

@realien wrote:

interesting as the mac is supposed to be capable of 800mbs on 5g.  

The theoretical maximum rate over 5G and AC is 866 Mbps: https://kb.netgear.com/31211/At-what-speed-and-bandwidth-can-my-Orbi-system-transmit-data .  However, the transmission rate you actually experience is greatly reduced due to communication overhead, encryption, environmental factors, etc.

Message 4 of 9
realien
Tutor

thanks you suprised I get 700mbps in over ethernet, Then using 5Ghz and over 10 feet with no walls, I only get 270Mbps, that over 50% speed loss which seems high to me.  I've seen 400 once or twice, but I don't what is impacting that,

Message 5 of 9
Mikey94025
Hero

This article has a table showing there is often a wide variation between theoretical and actual wifi speeds: https://www.lifewire.com/how-fast-is-a-wifi-network-816543 .  I also recommend using speedtest.net in a browser or their app vs. the Orbi's own admin website speed test function to get more accurate real life speed results.

I like the simplicity of Netflix's fast.com website tool, but I noticed different results reported by it for my iPhone 11's Wi-Fi 6 against my Orbi AX so now I depend more on speedtest.net.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Also connection rate is a factor as well:

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Message 7 of 9
realien
Tutor

Thanks

Network utiliity reports 54mbit/s but I think that's a bug, wifi diagnostic show 1300 MBps Tx rate

My network diags attached since I can't insert images for some reason...

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I get between 65-292Mbps on OSX 10.14.6 for some reason. Smiley Frustrated Though I'm sitting at a distance from the RBR or RBS. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7