Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speed from 500mbps down to 25mbps

lekw310388
Star

Speed from 500mbps down to 25mbps

So i just received the Orbi yesterday and have it setup. The good news is, I have full signel all over my house.

The bad news is, if I tested the speed via ethernet cable between the rounter and my laptop, I am looking at full speed 500mbps, tested via wireless is about 350 mbps. Placed the satellite on 2/F and it's showing good connection between the rounter and the satellite, speed via ethernet cable somehow dropped to 70mbps, wifi speed via the satellite dropped to 25mbps (sometimes even 16mbps)

Is there any reason why the speen could dropped so much? I even got highed speed when I had powerline adpater before switching to Orbi.

It is very frustrated since I am buying Orbi to expect full coverage with full speed.....

any idea?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 23
juniormint88
Tutor

Are you running the latest firmware on both the router & satellite?

Message 2 of 23
lekw310388
Star

Yes, once I have it setup there was a step that check for updated firmware, and I have updated both the router and satellite
Message 3 of 23
lekw310388
Star

Can anyone help? Any suggestions are welcome!

Message 4 of 23

the color lights are not an accurate representation and its quite possible the backhaul is struggling to the through the ceiling / floor , what the ceiling / floor made of ?

Message 5 of 23
lekw310388
Star

that sounds like an explaination...but regardless of the material of the ceiling / floor (I would guess its made of cement?) I live on a 4 story hosue and the modem is placed on the groud floor, I then place the satellite on the 2/F, which seems reasonable considering it is the center of the house. 

Message 6 of 23

@lekw310388 wrote:

I live on a 4 story hosue and the modem is placed on the groud floor, I then place the satellite on the 2/F, which seems reasonable considering it is the center of the house. 

if the floors / ceilings are concrete and reinforced metal bars you will be lucky to get up one floor never mind 2 , i think you may need to reconsider your options here

do you have ethernet installed between the floors at all

Message 7 of 23
lekw310388
Star

So you are suggesting me to relocate the satellite to the first floor? So by keeping the router on the groud floor and satellite being ont he first floor, I don't see how I would get any signal if I'm on the top floor.....

Unfortunately I don't have any ethernet installed betweens the floors, that's why I was using powerline adapter and now switching to Orbi...

Message 8 of 23

@lekw310388 wrote:

I don't see how I would get any signal if I'm on the top floor.....

you wont , its a simple matter of physics , that concrete just wont pass the wif so your pretty much screwed wifi wise with any solution you go in this field be that orbi or any other mesh system

Message 9 of 23
st_shaw
Master

@peteytesting wrote:

you wont , its a simple matter of physics , that concrete just wont pass the wif so your pretty much screwed wifi wise with any solution you go in this field be that orbi or any other mesh system

A truly mesh system (not Orbi) should work if there are stairwells (instead of say elevators) betweeen floors.  You should be able to place mesh access points at the top and bottom of the stairwells, to provide a pathway from floor to floor.  That's how mesh is supposed to work.  Overall throughput would suffer though, because all the upper floor traffic would pass through a few mesh points near the bottom.

If the structure is wired with copper wire for telephone lines, @lekw310388 could use a DSL-based extender between floors.  Startech makes one, and it's intended for exactly this purpose.  It provides 100 Mbps maximum throughput.  See this link:

https://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Media-Converters/Ethernet-Extenders/10-100Mbps-VDSL2-Ethernet...

Message 10 of 23
lekw310388
Star

So you are saying that wifi mesh system are indeed designed for large space but not for house used, especially those houses which has few stories high..?

Message 11 of 23
anschmid
Apprentice

@lekw310388 wrote:

Placed the satellite on 2/F and it's showing good connection between the rounter and the satellite, speed via ethernet cable somehow dropped to 70mbps, wifi speed via the satellite dropped to 25mbps (sometimes even 16mbps)

Is that Ethernet cable now connected still to the router or to the satellite when it dropped to 70mbps from the 500mbps?

Message 12 of 23
st_shaw
Master

@lekw310388 wrote:

So you are saying that wifi mesh system are indeed designed for large space but not for house used, especially those houses which has few stories high..?

No.  What's being said is: any multi-node solution can only work if the nodes can communicate back to the router.  Orbi is a star topology, so every node (satlellite) needs a good wireless connection directly to the router.  Orbi is not a mesh system.

A node in a mesh system can reach the router by communicating between other nodes between itself and the router.  There must be a path back to the router for every node. Using a mesh system in a house will work, but it might require more nodes than in a large open space, and the nodes must be placed carefully to ensure each has a path back to the router.

Star (Orbi)

Star

Mesh

Mesh

Message 13 of 23
lekw310388
Star

@anschmid wrote:

@lekw310388 wrote:

Placed the satellite on 2/F and it's showing good connection between the rounter and the satellite, speed via ethernet cable somehow dropped to 70mbps, wifi speed via the satellite dropped to 25mbps (sometimes even 16mbps)

Is that Ethernet cable now connected still to the router or to the satellite when it dropped to 70mbps from the 500mbps?

Nothing has changed since day one, speed via ethernet cable to satellite is still remain about 70mbps, wifi speed keep around 25mbps.

Top speed via router is 500 mbps

Message 14 of 23
lekw310388
Star

@st_shaw wrote:

@lekw310388 wrote:

No.  What's being said is: any multi-node solution can only work if the nodes can communicate back to the router.  Orbi is a star topology, so every node (satlellite) needs a good wireless connection directly to the router.  Orbi is not a mesh system.

A node in a mesh system can reach the router by communicating between other nodes between itself and the router.  There must be a path back to the router for every node. Using a mesh system in a house will work, but it might require more nodes than in a large open space, and the nodes must be placed carefully to ensure each has a path back to the router.

Star (Orbi)

Star

Mesh

Mesh

Thanks for clearing that for me. 

Anyway, is there any solution for you give me? Maybe ditch the orbi system and replace it with something different?

Message 15 of 23
anschmid
Apprentice

Okay. Just checking I understood your setup.

What is really strange is that you get 75Mbps via Ethernet and 25 Mbps via Wifi to satellite. If the bottleneck would be between satelitte and router one would assume that both Ethernet or Wifi connection to the satelitte should not matter and give your roughly the same results.

Have you ever tried to move the satelitte to the 1st floor as suggested earlier and see what your results are in this location?

I know you have concerns about then reaching your 4th floor but it might be worth a try just to see.

Message 16 of 23
cue003
Apprentice

Have you tried a full reset yet? Some other members who were having ethernet/Wifi speed degradation seemed to have resolved their issues by resetting the system.
Message 17 of 23
st_shaw
Master

lekw310388 wrote:

Anyway, is there any solution for you give me? Maybe ditch the orbi system and replace it with something different?

You can't beat physics.  If you need to cover multiple floors in a concrete building, then I think you either need to live with the 25 Mbps speed (which isn't bad) or use some kind of wired solution. Wired could include Ethernet cable, telephone lines and the VDSL solution I posted above, or TV-style coax wires and a MOCA converter (which runs Ethernet over coax.)

Message 18 of 23
Dan_H
Apprentice

Yes the Orbi isn't a "True" mesh system, its currently only star topology. However, did you know in a true mesh system you are going to lose 1/2 of your throughput as you go through every link in the mesh chain? That is on top of what you are going to lose anyway by going through your walls ceiling etc.. The mesh system isn't going to be better than the orbi (9.9 times out of 10) the only advantage is, that will cover more area.

If you have issues due to the height of your house and building material the house is made out of, the only thing that is going to  really solve your problem is to run CAT6 throughout your house, and install some APs on every floor. Personally I think you should experiment with placing the satellite in different areas of your house to find the best speeds. Then go take it back, and try out one of those true mesh systems. See which one works the best, I have a strong feeling short of running cable to APs you aren't going to be able to do better.

G/L though, and I hope you find the solution to your issue, I know it can be frustrating at times.

Me i am happy with it for now, but when we move in our house I will run cable and APs. For the time being though, since i cant do that, this is the best it gets. 

Message 19 of 23
lekw310388
Star

@cue003 wrote:
Have you tried a full reset yet? Some other members who were having ethernet/Wifi speed degradation seemed to have resolved their issues by resetting the system.

Yes, I just did a full reset by pressing those little hole at the back, and have it set up again. Well, no luck.

This is the speed i'm getting when I connect my laptop via cable to the router:

1.PNG

And this is the speed I got (wifi) when I'm in my room, on the 3/F, while the satellite is placed on the 2/F:

Capture.PNG

So what's the deal here? 

Message 20 of 23
lekw310388
Star

@st_shaw wrote:

@lekw310388 wrote:

You can't beat physics.  If you need to cover multiple floors in a concrete building, then I think you either need to live with the 25 Mbps speed (which isn't bad) or use some kind of wired solution. Wired could include Ethernet cable, telephone lines and the VDSL solution I posted above, or TV-style coax wires and a MOCA converter (which runs Ethernet over coax.)

Yes, I just did a full reset by pressing those little hole at the back, and have it set up again. Well, no luck.

This is the speed i'm getting when I connect my laptop via cable to the router:

1.PNG

And this is the speed I got (wifi) when I'm in my room, on the 3/F, while the satellite is placed on the 2/F:

Capture.PNG

So what's the deal here? 

Message 21 of 23
csk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am suspecting the problem might be with your modem.
Did you set your modem in bridge mode?
I had the same problem getting 10 Mbps instead of 300 Mbps that I subscribe.
I factory reset my modem, set it in bridge mode, my speed has been steady between 290 up to 320 Mbps .

You might also need a third orbi Satelite for the 3rd floor
Message 22 of 23
genobkk
Star

Try moving the Satalite around. I am able to put my satellite on 3rd floor base on 1st floor and still get 274 mb 1st I get 300 mb that is my max download speed.   Maybe your bachauk channel is being used near u, not sure how to change that though 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7