Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed much slow via Satellite RBS50

Guide

Speed much slow via Satellite RBS50

I have the RBK50 package with 1 satellite.

My internet connection is 74/20 and when my devices connect via the RBR50 I generally get close to the 74 down.

When my devices connect via the RBS50 satellite I get around 20 down. Even when I’m standing right next to the satellite.

- latest firmware
- tried factory reset
- tried moving the satellite closer
- tried moving it further away

Should I just return this? I’ve got until the end of May to get a refund.

Thanks for your help
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Speed much slow via Satellite RBS50

How are you measuring your internet speeds? If you are using the Orbi's built-in speedtest, STOP USING IT! Please, use another third party app for any speedtests. The Orbi built-in speedtest has a known problem that will eventually slow down your WiFi network.

It is very common to get slower speeds from your satellite than from your base router. The decrease in speeds is dependent on your environment. If you are in an urban or apartment area the slowdown could be directly related to frequency conflicts between competing WiFi routers. Try changing channels for both the 2.4 gHz and 5.0 gHz to "uncluttered" frequencies.

Message 2 of 7
Guide

The speed test feature built into the app only tests the speed on the router that is connected directly to the modem. It wouldn't make any sense for me to be using that. I'm just using the speedtest.net app on my mobile device, or the speedtest.net web site from my computer.

I've already selected the most optimal wireless channels.

Thanks for your input!

Message 3 of 7
tsig
Luminary

when looking at the connection status of the satellite in the app, what does it say?

Message 4 of 7
Guide

It says Good
Message 5 of 7
Guide

So I’ve been able to narrow it down to a problem with the 2.4ghz band on the satellite only.

If my devices are on 5Ghz I get perfect full speeds.

If my devices are on 2.4ghz they get less than half.

I picked the most optimal 2.4ghz channel as recommended by my Mac diagnostics - but it’s irrelevent because I live in a big house with no neighbours. There are no other Wi-fi networks around.

I tried unchecking 20/40mhz Coexistence but that made no difference.

Any idea why my 2.4Ghz band is so slow? Even when standing right next to the satellite?

I’ve got 2 more weeks to figure this out before the return deadline - thank you.
Message 6 of 7
cscheiene
Star

I have the same problem. I get 30mbit max on the 2.4 on the satellite. 350mbits on the 5ghz.

A reboot of the system solves it for a couple of days, I then get around 100mbits on the 2.4 GHz band
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7