Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed test difference

lowrisk
Tutor

Speed test difference

I don't understand why there is a such difference between the speed test from the Orbi app and the speed test from the router or local device 

I signup for 1Gb/s FTTH , but only getting between 80Mb/s to 300Mb/s in some rare case.

Doing the speed test from Orbi app giving me around 354/ 470 Mb/s 

Doing from my Macbook Pro Retina 15INch 2019, iPhone Max give me betwen 80Mb/s to 220 Mb/s (iPhone local link: 866Mb/s, same for Macbook Pro)

When I do the speed from my server with dual ethernet and speed aggregation connected to the router itself  (so local link shoudnt be an issue) I o nly getting the same that the local device speed test. (I actually just got 354Mb/s on my Macbook Pro once).

How come the Orbi app give me a such better speed and if this accurante ?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed test difference

Couple of things going on here.

1. The router itself tests back to speedtest.net. I have gigabit but rarely see the full speed running the built in router speedtest. You need to have a hardwired connection back to the router from a computer with the cpu/ethernet connection to fully use gigabit. And I usually use either: http://speedtest.xfinity.com/   or  http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/  see the full speeds. Make sure its hardwired. You'll never see full speeds over wireless.

2. The app has this issue as well.

3. You can't look at link speed. It isn't an accurate measure of actual throughput. 

4.  Orbi doesn't have link aggregation so I'm not sure how you're setting that up with Orbi. 

Basically I'm not sure if you're testing is accurate. Again, for for the best results is a hardwired computer, directly connected to the router and not satellite, test with several speed testing sites as local congestion can throw off speeds. 

You can also take the orbi out of the equation and directly connect to your modem/gateway device and see what speeds you see over ethernet. 

Let us know how your speeds look doing it this way 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@lowrisk wrote:

I don't understand why there is a such difference between the speed test from the Orbi app and the speed test from the router or local device 

I signup for 1Gb/s FTTH , but only getting between 80Mb/s to 300Mb/s in some rare case.

Doing the speed test from Orbi app giving me around 354/ 470 Mb/s 

Doing from my Macbook Pro Retina 15INch 2019, iPhone Max give me betwen 80Mb/s to 220 Mb/s (iPhone local link: 866Mb/s, same for Macbook Pro)

When I do the speed from my server with dual ethernet and speed aggregation connected to the router itself  (so local link shoudnt be an issue) I o nly getting the same that the local device speed test. (I actually just got 354Mb/s on my Macbook Pro once).

How come the Orbi app give me a such better speed and if this accurante ?

Message 3 of 8
lowrisk
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I tried with hardware / Eth test.

Regarding the speed link, I also using IPERF but that seems slow so I'm hoping the result is wrong.
The link that MacOS is giving me on my MacBook Pro 2019, are unexpected: 291Mb/s right now,(I'm next to the main Orbi), 868Mb/s when I'm lucky ... but rarely.
Sorry for the link aggregation, I meant I have a server with a docker running speedtest : the server is connected with two eth 1/gbs with link aggregation to my router (Synology RT1900Ac) and my Orbi is connected on the another LAN in the same router (meaning the speed on the server   and the actual speed test docker have twice throughput that if it was connected directly to the Orbi, or was running a speed test from a wireless client.

Anyway thank you for the reply, I have the information I wanted: the result from the Orbi is not accurate, neither are the speed links.
(Still, a bit disappointed with the speed on some of my devices but that's another topic)

Also, direct speed test from only one computer connected straight to the router via ethernet have a result between 277/412 Mb/s so definitely an issue with my ISP anyway, unfortunately for me, tech support have zero knowledge 

Message 4 of 8
lowrisk
Tutor

When is not updated because it wasnt connected for a few months.

the GPN / ONT : Huawei HG8010H

Model Name Device Name Current Version Status
Router RBR50 RBR50 V2.3.1.44 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Orbi Satellite Hall V2.3.1.44 No new firmware version available.
Satellite RBS50 Orbi Satellite Kitchen V2.2.1.210 Waiting for connection
Satellite RBS50 Orbi Satellite Living V2.3.1.44 No new firmware version available.
Message 5 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Do you have daisy chain enabled?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

@lowrisk wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I tried with hardware / Eth test.

Regarding the speed link, I also using IPERF but that seems slow so I'm hoping the result is wrong.
The link that MacOS is giving me on my MacBook Pro 2019, are unexpected: 291Mb/s right now,(I'm next to the main Orbi), 868Mb/s when I'm lucky ... but rarely.
Sorry for the link aggregation, I meant I have a server with a docker running speedtest : the server is connected with two eth 1/gbs with link aggregation to my router (Synology RT1900Ac) and my Orbi is connected on the another LAN in the same router (meaning the speed on the server   and the actual speed test docker have twice throughput that if it was connected directly to the Orbi, or was running a speed test from a wireless client.

Anyway thank you for the reply, I have the information I wanted: the result from the Orbi is not accurate, neither are the speed links.
(Still, a bit disappointed with the speed on some of my devices but that's another topic)

Also, direct speed test from only one computer connected straight to the router via ethernet have a result between 277/412 Mb/s so definitely an issue with my ISP anyway, unfortunately for me, tech support have zero knowledge 

You stated you're using a synology RT1900AC. I don't see in its specs link aggregation either. Unless you're running a virtual machine within your server so you have 1 lan port on 1 machine and the other port to a different machine. If so, I'd use a something else for speedtesting as it adds potential problems. Also if the orbi is hooked to the synology, is it in AP mode? 

It sounds like you have a lot going on or are trying to do a lot.  Start simple when it comes to testing. I'd start by hooking a regular computer/laptop with gigabit directly to your modem and seeing what speeds you get. Get your gigabit speeds there first. Then work down the line. Add in your synology, retest speeds. then move on to server->orbi-> etc. Complexity adds overhead and creates different areas that can have issues such as your docker container.  

Message 7 of 8
lowrisk
Tutor

No the roteur don't have link agregation feature, only fail over and dual balancing, the link aggretation are managed by the server, screenshot attached.

My router Wi_Fi is turned off and I use the Orbi as AP (bridge mode)

Anyway, I tried two computer connected to the router itself (my own router and the ISP router just incase ...) and the speed remain bad.

I had a look to the "ONT" / Optical Terminal and I think the cable wasn't t setup properly which could explain my speed issues.  

55BD0C98-1359-47AC-B5D7-237AF1A3ABF9.jpg

Screenshot 2019-04-04 at 12.30.08.png

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7