Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speed test limited to 500 Mbps?

Justwords
Tutor

Speed test limited to 500 Mbps?

I have a DOCSIS3.1-Connection and have one RBR50 and two satellites connected to a FritzBox 6591. While doing a manual speed test e.g. via speedtest.computerbild.de i often get speeds of above 950 Mbps. However, using the built-in Speedtest in the orbi-app, i never get more than 505 Mbps. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
additude
Virtuoso

What a lot of users do not consider is that Network WiFi speeds are inherantly slower than Network Cabled speeds.

On a 1 Gig internet input speed into a modem, (That comes in on cable, BTW), a wired output of that Modem should be right at the input speed. But once that wired signal goes into the WiFi router and gets propogated at 2.4G or at 5G it's speed is typically 1/2 the input speed for the conversion to WiFi.

Message 2 of 11
Justwords
Tutor

Sorry, i forgot to say: All Satellites are connected via Ethernet to the router. And on the satellite i also get plus 900 Mbps while using non-NETGEAR-speed-tests.

Message 3 of 11
gr8sho
Virtuoso

What he was trying to say was the device used for the test matters. An iPhone best case gets an 866Mbps link speed but in practice will see a lesser effective rate. If doing the test using a wired connected client, should get full speed.
Is the Orbi configured as router or access point?

Also I believe if using wireless backhaul, wireless connected clients should be able to get full speed on satellite based on my understanding of the design used in this product.
Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@additude wrote:

What a lot of users do not consider is that Network WiFi speeds are inherantly slower than Network Cabled speeds.

Both the Orbi App and the Nighthawk App are, just like the one in the Orbi QoS settings (unless this has changed for Orbi) are doing a speed test between the router (resp primary access point) of the Orbi system to the typically wired cable modem/ONT/whatever ISP uplink.

@gr8sho wrote:
What he was trying to say was the device used for the test matters. An iPhone best case gets an 866Mbps link speed but in practice will see a lesser effective rate. If doing the test using a wired connected client, should get full speed. 

Even if controlled by a mobile App ... again, the SpeedTest client is run on the Orbi router, so all wired.

Message 5 of 11
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It’s hard to tell, but yes I have seen routers provide built in tests like that.
Message 6 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Justwords wrote:

... via speedtest.computerbild.de i often get speeds of above 950 Mbps. However, using the built-in Speedtest in the orbi-app, i never get more than 505 Mbps. 

I don't know if I could trust the built-in app for speedtest.  I never get anything close to Gbits.  I always use http://speedtest.googlefiber.net and https://www.speedtest.net to compare the results.  The strange thing is that Orbi built-in app also uses Ookla.  The problem could be the target server used by the built-in speedtest app.

Message 7 of 11
Justwords
Tutor

Yes, it is on the router- but why only half the speed?
Message 8 of 11
Justwords
Tutor

Yes, it is on the router- but why only half the speed?
Message 9 of 11
Daniel84
Tutor

Same issue here (1Gbps download/upload link) download no more than 510 Mbps but upload reaches until 800 Mbps. For the other ones answering, understand the test even if done my the mobile app, is testing the orbi router connected by ethernet to the modem!.

I tested an apple tv using the speed test app connected to the orbi via ethernet and got download speeds above 700 Mbps so it seems its something about the speedtest servers!?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation