Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed vs Direct to Fios Gateway

SteveDT
Tutor

Speed vs Direct to Fios Gateway

I know there are dozens of threads already out there on speed issues, but what I’m trying to determine is if I connect directly to my Fios Gateway router with say an iPad, I can get upwards of 300 Mbps over WiFi. But then when I change that iPad’s connection to my Orbi, the speed drops to 30-50 Mpbs. Is a reduction in speed such as this what I should be seeing, in exchange for having a substantially improved range throughout my house?  I very much appreciate any thoughts or advice from the Community. 

Also, I do have Beamforming and MIMO enabled. 

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Speed vs Direct to Fios Gateway

Orbi does bandsteering based upon usage. If you only run a test or two and typically don't use it for high bandwidth, the orbi won't have switched you off the 5ghz signal. Something to check into. 

1. have you tried any other devices?

2. Is you fios gateway have a router built in? Model?

3. Orbi models and firmware?

4. Have you tested with any other devices? A true speedtest should have a hardwired test. What speeds do you get hardwired?

Message 2 of 4
SteveDT
Tutor

@plemans wrote:

Orbi does bandsteering based upon usage. If you only run a test or two and typically don't use it for high bandwidth, the orbi won't have switched you off the 5ghz signal. Something to check into. 

1. have you tried any other devices?  I have, and it's quite radom. I have seen WiFi speeds max out around 125K Mbps- 150K Mbps at times, but a good 80%-90% of the time I'm clocking in below 50Mbps.  

2. Is you fios gateway have a router built in? Model?  I have the Fios Quantum Gateway router. The AC1750. Yes, it has a router built in. I actually never turned the WiFi off on the router until recently, as I read on Verizon's site that this should be done, and the Orbi should be setup as an access point.  But even after doing this, there was no improvement in speed.

3. Orbi models and firmware?  RBR50, with a Satellite.  So is it sold as a kit as the RBK50?  That's what I have.  2.3.1.44.

4. Have you tested with any other devices? A true speedtest should have a hardwired test. What speeds do you get hardwired?  Yes.  Hardwired directly into the Orbi via a desktop PC I'm able to get in the mid- to upper 250K Mbps.  Which clearly is far better.  But still not the speeds if I hardwire directly to the Quantum Gateway router.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

If hardwired to the orbi, you're still struggling to hit the speeds you pay for there's a couple things you can try both with the gateway and orbi.

1. contact Verizon and have them walk you through putting the gateway into gateway/modem only mode. They'll be able to walk you through this best. Then reset your Orbi back to original and setup in router mode. 

2. Scan your area wifi to see which channels work the best for you area. 

3. Check satellite placment. it needs to be a minimum of 30 ft away but it can be too far away or it can have interference. hardwire into the satellite for placement, speedtesting to make sure you're getting accurate readings.

4. You've already enabled beamforming and mimo.

5. Check your cable. Maybe the ethernet cable has issues.

6. check with multiple speedtest sites. I prefer speedtest.googlefiber.net or speedtest.xfinity.com  . Reason is I've had speedtest connect me to a slower server and not max out my speeds. Not saying this is happening but something to check. 

Just a couple ideas that you could try. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7