Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speedtest Irregularity

Exasketch
Follower

Speedtest Irregularity

I have a RBK23 mesh system newly purchased with the basic setup complete.

When I complete a speed test on the ORBI interface/console I get max download and upload speeds.

When I use speedtest.net through a browser which in the past gave me the same results, now drops my download speed by nearly a third of my connection speed

I am running on a eithernet connection directly pluged into my orbi hub/router

Can someone explain is this is suppose to be normal with Orbi or is something wrong.

Regards

Exa

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Speedtest Irregularity

@Exasketch wrote:

When I complete a speed test on the ORBI interface/console I get max download and upload speeds.

When I use speedtest.net through a browser which in the past gave me the same results, now drops my download speed by nearly a third of my connection speed

I am running on a eithernet connection directly pluged into my orbi hub/router

Can someone explain is this is suppose to be normal with Orbi or is something wrong.

There have been numerous posts comparing Speedtest on the Orbi web interface with Speedtest on a device connected to the Orbi. I, myself, see no difference which may be a consequence of having less "raw speed" to begin with.  Now that gig internet connections are common,this seems to be reported a lot more.  I would say, "disappointing" rather than "something wrong."

What matters, of course, is the actual speed delivered to devices connected to the Orbi.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Speedtest Irregularity

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you checing speeds with a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app to compare? Browser can cause inaccrate speed results...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7