Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Speedtest via router x speedtest via app

dirceuguerra
Aspirant

Speedtest via router x speedtest via app

Hello. I’m using an Orbi RBR-50 + RBS-50 + 2 RBS-40. The satellites are all connected via gigabit ethernet on the RBR-50.

Orbi is working as router mode and all of them updated to the latest firmwares.

I used to work in AP mode. And everytime I used to do speedtest in orbi’s app, i got the real speed performance contracted.

Since I’ve changed Orbi’s to work in router mode, most of this in app speedtest shows a slow speed in up and downloads. Almost 10x slower.

The strangest thing is, if I do the test in my wired macbook, it shows the real speed. In speedtest app over IOS, the same. I’m only getting strange results over Orbi’s in app speedtest.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Very strange! Have you tried rebooting the Orbi Router? You can also try renewing the DHCP lease by going to (in the web GUI) >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> CONNECTION STATUS >> RENEW
Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@dirceuguerra wrote:
Hello. I’m using an Orbi RBR-50 + RBS-50 + 2 RBS-40. The satellites are all connected via gigabit ethernet on the RBR-50.

Orbi is working as router mode and all of them updated to the latest firmwares.

I used to work in AP mode. And everytime I used to do speedtest in orbi’s app, i got the real speed performance contracted.

Since I’ve changed Orbi’s to work in router mode, most of this in app speedtest shows a slow speed in up and downloads. Almost 10x slower.

The strangest thing is, if I do the test in my wired macbook, it shows the real speed. In speedtest app over IOS, the same. I’m only getting strange results over Orbi’s in app speedtest.

Message 3 of 13
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

It’a a Sagemcom F@st 5655 v2. I live in Brazil and my internet provider is Tim Live fiber with 300mb download and 180 upload.

All Orbi’s uses the latest firmware. RBR 50 and RBS 50 uses 2.3.1.60. The two RBS 40 satellites uses 2.3.1.58.

A strange thing I noticed today bur haven’t gone too deep yet is that a speedtest using Ookla app when my iPhone is connected in Orbi’s router shows the same low up/down speed that Orbi’s in app speedtest.

When I’m connected over any of the satellites, i have full speed (300dw/180up) on ookla’s app.

It seems the problem is restricted to the RBR-50 unit.
Message 4 of 13
ekhalil
Master

Do you happen to have WAN Port mirror to LAN port1 enabled in the Router’s debug page?
Message 5 of 13
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

No, should I do that?

All options on debug page are empty
Message 6 of 13
ekhalil
Master

No, I was just suspecting this as possible cause affecting your Router.
Since measuring speed from devices connected to Satellite is giving good results, it must be a glitch in the Router causing the issue.
I would reboot the Router and see if you get any improvement, otherwise I would go fo factory resetting the Router.
Message 7 of 13
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

I’ve rebooted several times, nothing changed.

Will try a factory reset
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You seem to have a modem with a built in router as well. 

FYI,
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@dirceuguerra wrote:
It’a a Sagemcom F@st 5655 v2. I live in Brazil and my internet provider is Tim Live fiber with 300mb download and 180 upload.

All Orbi’s uses the latest firmware. RBR 50 and RBS 50 uses 2.3.1.60. The two RBS 40 satellites uses 2.3.1.58.

A strange thing I noticed today bur haven’t gone too deep yet is that a speedtest using Ookla app when my iPhone is connected in Orbi’s router shows the same low up/down speed that Orbi’s in app speedtest.

When I’m connected over any of the satellites, i have full speed (300dw/180up) on ookla’s app.

It seems the problem is restricted to the RBR-50 unit.

Message 9 of 13
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

It's really very strange...

I've done a factory reset and I keep getting the same behaviour from the Orbi base station. Full or almost full download speed and a slow upload speed.

When I get close to the the satellites, I get full download and upload speed.

My internet provider made a very simple step to configure the modem as bridge. After I log into the modem (192.168.1.1), they only give two options: turn Wi-fi on or off and change the modem to bridge mode. They don't have an advanced mode to check other options.

So, I just checked the bridge mode, the interface tells me they gonna shut off the buit-in wireless and gives me the credentials to log-in into Orbi.

I could post some prints, but they are in portuguese, I think it's more easy to describe it here.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 13
dirceuguerra
Aspirant

So, after some weeks of tests, still have the instability with the speed and noticed a new one. From time to time, the router lose the connection.

In the beginning i tought it was an issue with the internet provider, but no. All wireless connection lose internet, but wired was still up.

Then, decided to change Orbi from AP to bridge mode and it seems to be OK now, with full download and upload speed.

It seems like an issue with AP mode or with provider’s modem, or maybe both.

Will try to figure this out with the provider because i really wanted AP mode for Armor and upnp.
Message 11 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try configuring the modem for router mode and try option #2 of my suggestion about modem combo units. Configure the Orbi for router mode and use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi. I would not recommend using Armor, others have reported having problems with it. 

@dirceuguerra wrote:
So, after some weeks of tests, still have the instability with the speed and noticed a new one. From time to time, the router lose the connection.

In the beginning i tought it was an issue with the internet provider, but no. All wireless connection lose internet, but wired was still up.

Then, decided to change Orbi from AP to bridge mode and it seems to be OK now, with full download and upload speed.

It seems like an issue with AP mode or with provider’s modem, or maybe both.

Will try to figure this out with the provider because i really wanted AP mode for Armor and upnp.

Message 12 of 13
ekhalil
Master

I would suggest the following two tests:
1. Please switch off the Satellite and see if the devices attached to the Router will then give better results.
2. Please try to change the used radio channels and see if this will make any difference.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7