Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stability on RBK50 System, troubleshooting disconnects

Wizec
Apprentice

Stability on RBK50 System, troubleshooting disconnects

I've had a few connectivity issues like may here, and have tried all the different tweaks that have been suggested to no avail.

I may have stumbled across a tweak that is worth sharing though. I've noticed that when I set 2.4 Ghz power to 25%, I don't experience any disconnects. Setting it back to 100%, we invariably experience some disconnects on iPad and iPhones.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Stability on RBK50 System, troubleshooting disconnects

Here's a link to an article that explains WiFi interference. It also may explain why lowering the power output from 2.4gHz may help prevent disconnects.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Good Luck!

Message 2 of 4
Wizec
Apprentice

Thanks, but that article focuses on band interference, which we don’t have out in the country. Not even from cordless phones or anything like that.

Multiple reviews give this system average marks for 2.4Ghz performance. I think that lowering the 2.4Ghz output power helps convince my WiFi clients to use the 5Ghz band which performs better and is more stable.

My guess is that Netgear put more resources into the 5Ghz development in this product than 2.4Ghz, which has led to some users experiencing these issues. Just a stab in the dark on this of course; I have no insider information.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 4
tucsontico
Virtuoso

True, the article focuses on WiFi interference. I also live in a semi-rural area (nearest neighbor is hundreds of feet away) and don't have any apparent interference on the 2.4 gHz band. However, when I did a search of the 2.4 gHz band with a sensitive WiFi bridge (EnGenius ENS202), it disocvered about 8-10 signals in the 2.4 gHz band that were strong enough to cause minor interference issues, e.g., slow downs, until I discovered a clearer 2.4 gHz channel.

Once I reconfigured the Orbi to that clearer channel, I've had a very stable and fast 2.4 gHz signal throughout my property. I never had to decrease the output of my 2.4gHz signal. I just reset it to a less crowded channel.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7