Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Star vs Daisy Chain-Pros/Cons?

RayintheGreatNW
Aspirant

Star vs Daisy Chain-Pros/Cons?

We’re building a new home and it’s in the framing stage. We have the opportunity to setup our Orbi devices (1 router and 3 satellites) using an Ethernet backhaul configuration. Are there advantages or disadvantages of using a daisy chain versus star? I can easily prewire for either configuration now.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@RayintheGreatNW wrote:
We’re building a new home and it’s in the framing stage. We have the opportunity to setup our Orbi devices (1 router and 3 satellites) using an Ethernet backhaul configuration. Are there advantages or disadvantages of using a daisy chain versus star? I can easily prewire for either configuration now.

100% for wired Backhaul.  Daisy-Chain only if wiring is not an option.

Check out this post for my experiments, which could give you an idea of what to expect.

Message 2 of 5
RayintheGreatNW
Aspirant

Let me clarify. I’m going to run Ethernet wire, there is no question about that. My question is should I run the Ethernet wiring in a daisy chain topology (eg router and satellites are connected in a linear series or daisy chained) or in a star topology where each satellite is physically connected to the router?
Message 3 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Star topology is a better choice since it will eliminate the extra hop via Satellite.

Message 4 of 5
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Juts to add, it probably won't make a difference performance wise, but star topology can avoid a single point of failure within your network in the event that the middle Satellite is down.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7