Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sticky connection and preference for 2.4ghz

PlatinumGoat
Apprentice

Sticky connection and preference for 2.4ghz

Why can't the Orbi system let users choose their preferred band of connection? I am sick of having my devices stucked on 2.4ghz and suffering at less than half of my ISP speed and high ping. Devices also seem to try their best to "stick" to the furthest node! I tried many things like reducing the 2.4 ghz power to 25%, disable/enable daisy chain, enable/disable beamforming, enable/disable MUMO, enable/disable fast roaming, factory resets, syncing the satellite and router, power cycle etc. Can't understand why devices still prefer 2.4 after all these! I can't disable 2.4 as I have some devices that need it. However, the Orbi should let users choose specific devices to connect to 5ghz as priority. I don't mind the split second of lost connection when roaming if all of my 5ghz devices will connect to 5g and I don't have to suffer significantly reduced isp speeds.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Sticky connection and preference for 2.4ghz

Not exactly a point-and-click solution but it will work, apparently.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 2 of 5
PlatinumGoat
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer if Netgear implement this into the router configuration page then to rely on third party solution. I had the Velop before this. I was able to set different SSID with the velop.

Message 3 of 5
tagteam
Virtuoso

I hear that and completely understand and emphathize, but then I'm still hoping NG implements an option to disable auto-updating.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Orbi-System-Disable-automatic-firmware-updat...

Message 4 of 5
PlatinumGoat
Apprentice

Can't understand why auto updating cannot be disabled if they officially tell users to only update with lan cable in the manual update guide. And also to update the satellite first. Isn't auto updating going to update both router and satellite at the same time?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7