Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Still experiencing major disconnects

Greyhawk68
Star

Still experiencing major disconnects

I've been lurking all of the disconnect threads for awhile now, and I've gotten frustrated enough that I have to finally add my voice.

I've had my system since January, and it's been rock solid.  1 base 1 satellite in AP mode.  The base is in the house and the satellite is in the man cave.  I've never had any of the disconnects that plagued users early on.

The wife had complained about connectivty in the house from time to time (so maybe there WERE disconnects), so I decided to purchase another satellite.  Put that in the house the end of October, and that's when I started noticing issues.  The man cave would lose internet frequently.  So I unplugged the satellite.  The issues persisted.

Tried all of the suggested fixes here in the forums, and nothing has worked.  I lose connectivity multiple times a day now, and always in the middle of a multiplayer game or streaming show.  Then when I try to reset the routers, it may take 2-4 times before it's finally stable and will stay up again.

I even upgraded to the beta .76 firmware now to see if it helped, but no change.  I'm now protected against KRACK but I'm really protected when the damn thing isn't working at all.

So now I have $650 invested in this system, and only using it as access points and it cannot keep a connection to save it's life.

I also have 4 Arlo cameras and I'm now thinking of never buying a Netgear product again it's getting that bad.  And reading all of the disconnect threads, apparently this has been a problem forever.  So can we get an official word from someone, ANYONE at Netgear, acknowledging the problem and to let us know a fix is coming, and soon.  It's beyond frustrating at this point.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Greyhawk68

Send me a PM so I can get you in contact with support.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Greyhawk68 wrote:

Then when I try to reset the routers, it may take 2-4 times before it's finally stable and will stay up again.

You're describing the exact problem a lot of people are having.  The system comes up stable sometimes and other times it's flaky.  This has been occuring since 1.10.x.

Message 3 of 9
turnerm05
Luminary

I know there are lots of different threads with people having disconnect issues.  I never understood them... until it happened to me.  Suddenly, out of the blue my wife started complaining that wifi kept dropping for her.  Then I started noticing it and what was happening is that the wifi would reboot and often the entire router would reboot.  It was reaking havoc on the house and seemed to be increasing in frequently pretty dramatically.

I also noticed that my Sonos system (9 zones) was giving us fits as well.  

I had the week of Thanksgiving off from work so I figured I'd hunker down and solve both issues (Sonos and Orbi).  I had my Sonos running on my wifi network instead of using Sonosnet.  So I switched that and my Sonos problems were solved.  Not sure why the Orbi couldn't handle it but it couldn't.  

But after that I was still seeing a very odd issue.  Whenever I tried to control my Sonos using my Google Pixel phone the router would immediately crash.  Not EVERY time but I'd say about 50% of time.  I would reboot my phone and things would work for a bit, and sometimes for 24 hours or more and I'd think it was resolved.  Meanwhile the router reboots persisted.  At this point I knew there was some sort of conflict between my phone and the router.

I tried about a billion things (many after reading suggestions here) and nothing worked.  The router was still rebooting multiple times per day regardless of what I was doing with my phone and Sonos (although that was an almost sure-fire way to cause a problem).

Finally - I went into my phone and cleared the network settings for my Orbi network (long press on the Wifi signal, and then select forget network).  Rebooted my phone.

Issue solved.  For at least a week now.  Sonos is rock solid.  Router is rock solid.  No reboots, no hiccups.  Solid as it ever was from day one.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of issue where Orbi is causing IP conflicts even though it's not showing duplicate IPs in the connected devices page?  The behavior I was getting was very similar to what you might expect to see if there was an IP address conflict on a network.

Just food for thought and one more suggestion for folks to try.  See if you notice one or more devices causing issues.  Or just start clearing the network credentials from all your wifi devices and then setting them up fresh again.  It's a pain if you have lots of devices but... worth a shot when the frustration level is this high.

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@turnerm05 wrote:

I know there are lots of different threads with people having disconnect issues.  I never understood them... until it happened to me.  Suddenly, out of the blue my wife started complaining that wifi kept dropping for her.  Then I started noticing it and what was happening is that the wifi would reboot and often the entire router would reboot.  It was reaking havoc on the house and seemed to be increasing in frequently pretty dramatically.

I also noticed that my Sonos system (9 zones) was giving us fits as well.  

I had the week of Thanksgiving off from work so I figured I'd hunker down and solve both issues (Sonos and Orbi).  I had my Sonos running on my wifi network instead of using Sonosnet.  So I switched that and my Sonos problems were solved.  Not sure why the Orbi couldn't handle it but it couldn't.  

But after that I was still seeing a very odd issue.  Whenever I tried to control my Sonos using my Google Pixel phone the router would immediately crash.  Not EVERY time but I'd say about 50% of time.  I would reboot my phone and things would work for a bit, and sometimes for 24 hours or more and I'd think it was resolved.  Meanwhile the router reboots persisted.  At this point I knew there was some sort of conflict between my phone and the router.

I tried about a billion things (many after reading suggestions here) and nothing worked.  The router was still rebooting multiple times per day regardless of what I was doing with my phone and Sonos (although that was an almost sure-fire way to cause a problem).

Finally - I went into my phone and cleared the network settings for my Orbi network (long press on the Wifi signal, and then select forget network).  Rebooted my phone.

Issue solved.  For at least a week now.  Sonos is rock solid.  Router is rock solid.  No reboots, no hiccups.  Solid as it ever was from day one.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of issue where Orbi is causing IP conflicts even though it's not showing duplicate IPs in the connected devices page?  The behavior I was getting was very similar to what you might expect to see if there was an IP address conflict on a network.

Just food for thought and one more suggestion for folks to try.  See if you notice one or more devices causing issues.  Or just start clearing the network credentials from all your wifi devices and then setting them up fresh again.  It's a pain if you have lots of devices but... worth a shot when the frustration level is this high.

That's good troubleshooting and a result.  Sadly, I have over 90 devices, although I have cleared the settings on all of the android phones and tablets.  

In my observations, since 1.10.x the system seems to have "good boots" and "bad boots".  Sometimes, it will go literally days with no issues, and then degrade into a mess of sats connecting and reconnecting.  Eventually, it'll become stable again, for a while.

I am certain the system, nor my environment has changed much since I purchased it in March through the instability that started with 1.10.x.  I have sympathy for Netgear, as it's obviously a difficult problem to solve.  Sadly, I wish they would communicate what was going on, rather than hardly even acknowledge the issue.

When it has a "good boot" it works great, but when it has a "bad boot" it is terrible.

Message 5 of 9
mtlam
Guide

I'm also experiencing similar issues. I have the Orbi in access point now and assigning the satellite units with a static ip address helps with all the disconnections. I've been still disconnecting but only when the network is being stressed e.g. using torrents and at max bandwidth.

Message 6 of 9
turnerm05
Luminary

While my Sonos issue is completely solved I noticed I was still getting some reboots but they were completely isolated to when I was using my Google Pixel phone.  For instance, a few times in the morning as soon as I'd do anything with my phone requiring network data (like checking the weather) the Orbi would IMMEDIATELY crash and reboot.

I think I've remedied the issue by assigning a static IP address to that device.  I still think there are issues with Orbi assigning conflicting IP addresses.  My wifi network at the office uses the same IP range as my home network.  I'm wondering if somehow this isn't causing issues with my Pixel getting assigned a bad IP address when I come home?  Not sure.  But I "forgot" my home network, rebooted my Pixel and then assigned it a static IP address.  Since doing that I haven't had a single reboot.  But it's only been a few days so I'll keep monitoring it.

I feel like there are a slew of instances in which the Orbi gets hung-up which causes it to drop and re=assign IP addresses or that cause it to crash and reboot.  I think I'm slowly solving my personal issues but I'm guessing that this is only one instance of issue that can occur.

Message 7 of 9
anon2k2
Aspirant

Interesting thought about the conflicting IPs. Yesterday while troubleshooting some issues, I noticed that a couple of my wireless clients, for which I have DHCP reservations had different IPs than what was in the reservation table. For example, one of my Raspberry Pi boxes has a DHCP reservation set for 192.168.1.60 but was actually assigned 192.168.1.75, which made it very frustrating when I was trying to SSH into it.

Message 8 of 9
Hash85
Aspirant

I'm having same problems. Started in November. Orbi was the best for first six months. I have a tv wired to satellite. It constantly disconnects. Discionnects persist in both router and AP mode. Very frustrating.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7