Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Still see the original setup SSID

Still see the original setup SSID

I finished my Orbi setup yesterday and things are working well, except for one thing. The original setup network and guest are still showing up. I still see ORBI90 and ORBI90-guest SSIDs. My real network is fred and fred-guest. I have the SSID broadcast on fred-guest disabled.

The ORBI networks are 2.4 Ghz and have a BSSID that do not match the ids of my devices. In fact I cannot do a MAC addres lookup on them at all.

Here's a picture of the info: ORBI network 

I telnet'd to each device including the main router but do not see ORBI or ORBI90 in any of the config dumps.

I have tried the following:

• rebooting the main router
  • rebooting both satellites

Any ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Still see the original setup SSID

It would. My direct neighbor has and Orbi system and I see his default ORBI## ssid broadcast all the time. 

I recommend that you change your SSID broadcast to something different so you don't be confused by others using Orbi default SSID names. You can change the SSID to be just about anything. Make it intuitive and fun if you like. 

@ghostfacedkilla wrote:

I'll note that my satellite also says ORBI39, not ORBI90.  I suppose it's possible that my neighbor happened to buy one at the same time???

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Wow.  What a puzzle!

• Are you able to log into the correct SSID's?
    "fred" and "fred-guest"?
    (Hint: even though the SSID is not being broadcast, I believe if you specify "fred-guest" it might work.)
  • Are you ablt to log into the ORBI90 and ORBI90-Guest SSID's using the password on the product label?
Message 2 of 5

When I went to bed last night my wife pointed out that the satellite was flashing purple. I power cycled it and got it reconnected to the network, and now the mystery ORBI ssid is gone.  I'll note that ORBI90 is not what is on the back of my router, so I guess this is some random network the satellite made (I'm already working and haven't checked the bottom of that one).

Message 3 of 5

I'll note that my satellite also says ORBI39, not ORBI90.  I suppose it's possible that my neighbor happened to buy one at the same time???

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

It would. My direct neighbor has and Orbi system and I see his default ORBI## ssid broadcast all the time. 

I recommend that you change your SSID broadcast to something different so you don't be confused by others using Orbi default SSID names. You can change the SSID to be just about anything. Make it intuitive and fun if you like. 

@ghostfacedkilla wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7