Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Strange Daisy Chain order on my RBK53 set

nailman107
Aspirant

Strange Daisy Chain order on my RBK53 set

Hi, I had to re-position my Orbis to cover not only the full house area but also the garage and garden.

The Orbi router and three satellites have arranged themselves for this order:

The router (basement) connects to the guest room, backyard (garden) connects to the guest room and garage connects to the backyard.

So it's basement - guest room - garden - garage with garden/garage having a poor connection.

When I look at the distances I would suggest:

basement - guest room - garden and garage should connect to the guest room or basement.

My question is: can I force a satellite to connect to a certain other satellite or router? Or is it always on the devices themselves to negotiate?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Strange Daisy Chain order on my RBK53 set

The satellites should self-regulate and connect to each other to provide the "strongest" signal. First, be certain all the satellites and the router have the EXACT same firmware installed. One of the current issues is the reporting of daisy chain connections tends to be "off", i.e., the satellites take a long time to settle and may change their connection reporting frequently. The smartphone app can also show a different status than the built-in browser GUI.

If you are getting "Poor" connections reported, I suggest you tell the router to remove all three satellites and power down the satellite. Then power the satellites up–one at a time–starting with the closest one. Then reconnect/resync that one. Allow it several minutes (15-20) to establish a "Good" reported connection. Then go to the next satellite in the chain and repeat until all three are back online and reporting "Good".  

After allowing this "new" system at least 12 hours to settle, if the backhaul status stills shows "Poor" I suggest changing the location of the satellites to achieve a "Good" backhaul signal.  Good luck!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

No, you can't force certain satellites to connect it the order you want. They auto-negotiate based off signal strength. 

You can optimize placement a bit more. They need at least 30 feet between router/satellites to properly negotiate setup.

You might also find that obstructions within the walls can cause signal degredation.things like hvac, plumbing, foil lined insulation all can block signals and what you might think is a "better" setup isn't based of where the router/satellite is setup. Try moving closer/further/laterally within its current setup. I moved my devices around for several weeks before I found the optimum solution.  (plus I just like to optimize)

You can also try playing with disabling beamforming/mu-mimo/fast roaming to see if it'd help. 

Message 2 of 6
tucsontico
Virtuoso

The satellites should self-regulate and connect to each other to provide the "strongest" signal. First, be certain all the satellites and the router have the EXACT same firmware installed. One of the current issues is the reporting of daisy chain connections tends to be "off", i.e., the satellites take a long time to settle and may change their connection reporting frequently. The smartphone app can also show a different status than the built-in browser GUI.

If you are getting "Poor" connections reported, I suggest you tell the router to remove all three satellites and power down the satellite. Then power the satellites up–one at a time–starting with the closest one. Then reconnect/resync that one. Allow it several minutes (15-20) to establish a "Good" reported connection. Then go to the next satellite in the chain and repeat until all three are back online and reporting "Good".  

After allowing this "new" system at least 12 hours to settle, if the backhaul status stills shows "Poor" I suggest changing the location of the satellites to achieve a "Good" backhaul signal.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 6
nailman107
Aspirant

Ok, thank you all. I'll try playing around with the locations and power down and up again as suggested. Best regards

Michael

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@nailman107 wrote:

Ok, thank you all. I'll try playing around with the locations and power down and up again as suggested. Best regards

Michael

You basically have to ignore the distance factor when setting up the Satellites. There are more factors, such as walls, interference, floors, etc. And it's better to set them up one at a time in the same room as the Router, then one by one move them to their designated locations. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@nailman107 wrote:

Hi, I had to re-position my Orbis to cover not only the full house area but also the garage and garden.

The Orbi router and three satellites have arranged themselves for this order:

The router (basement) connects to the guest room, backyard (garden) connects to the guest room and garage connects to the backyard.

So it's basement - guest room - garden - garage with garden/garage having a poor connection.

When I look at the distances I would suggest:

basement - guest room - garden and garage should connect to the guest room or basement.

My question is: can I force a satellite to connect to a certain other satellite or router? Or is it always on the devices themselves to negotiate?

Thanks for your help!

Michael

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7